Thursday, January 03, 2008

Inspiration

The Necks Best Thing
Inspired by the scarf that Ana made for Brandi, I picked up a ball of chunky mystery yarn from my stash, cast on 15 stitches with size 15 needles and garter-stitched until I was almost out of yarn. I made a large buttonhole in the center of the scarf, then finished it off with a few more rows. Voila! The Necks Best Thing! Thanks for the idea Ana. One of these days I'll add a button. For now, I'm just weaving one end of the scarf through the buttonhole and pulling it closely around my neck.

The lovely Natalie has been trying to come up with a knitted necktie for her handsome husband, Joe for ages. Right now she's knitting on toothpick-like needles in a seed stitch with some black thread. Yikes! Black thread, where the stitches are un-seeable? Knitting on toothpicks? Using the seed stitch...what a pain, back and forth, knit and purl...ugh! So, last night I started fooling around with some gorgeous Koigu I had laying around and a very small crochet hook. I worked up a small swatch using the granite stitch, matching the size after a machine knit tie in Mr. Larry's wardrobe. I think I may just have something here.
What are your knit and crochet inspirations this winter?

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:37 PM PST, Blogger Jenn said...

So far my inspirations have come from the lovely things I've seen other people make. I love your new scarf!

 
At 12:45 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

"As soon as I finish my xmas knitting", my inspirations will be reading about what everyone else is doing. Of course, there will always be something I'll want to do independently, but sometimes, either from the blogs or the LA SnB or KnitList Yahoo Groups, I'll read something and think, WOW! GREAT idea!!! I think my next thing will be the combo of mystery yarns and size 50 (probably 35, since I have those) needles for a quick throw. Kinda like your Neck's Big Thing, but BIGGER!!

 
At 7:34 PM PST, Blogger mehitabel said...

Why is it inspiration always strikes when the "ability" isn't there? I've got a gazillion ideas rolling around in my brain for things for my "girls" and my "babies" and, of course, I can't hold a needle right now... I find inspiration almost everywhere, in the yarn, in books and mags, and on people's backs! Oh, and of course, online as well!

 
At 2:44 AM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

I really like the way that granite stitch is working up in variegated yarn!

After the "remember that hat you made me almost 10 years ago?" conversation with a friend, I've been diving back into my collection of vintage needlecraft books and pamphlets. There are so many great crochet motifs in those books that can be turned into bags, hats, and scarves!

 
At 10:47 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Yes, I find my inspiration from YOU, YOU and especially YOU!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery