Saturday, September 06, 2008

Silenced

Shhhhhhh!
Since Monday (Labor Day), I've had laryngitis. I'm quite a talkative person, so to be silenced for over 5 days has been extremely difficult for me. I missed two days of work, then went back and had to rely on the kindness of my co-workers to answer phones for me.
I did go to the doctor after 3 days of silence. There is this virus going around. It has settled in my larynx. I'm taking a decongestant, cough drops, gargling, drinking tea, etc. Since it's hot here, I admit I've been sitting in air-conditioned rooms which probably dries out the air I've been breathing....not good. Today I plan to try breathing in lots of steam.
The strange thing is, I feel OK. I've been coughing a bit, but not that much. I don't have a stuffy nose or head. I just can't vocalize. I can only whisper. This was tough at the WeHo SnB on Thursday night. I had to whisper into Mary Jo's ear and then she vocalized my thoughts. Not exactly great for quick and witty repartee! I've been doing lots of sign language, nodding my head and smiling. Ugh.
Anyone have some good ideas for getting rid of this fog horn in my throat? Please let me know!

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 2:47 PM PDT, Blogger Uccellina said...

Honey, honey and more honey. In tea, by itself, however you want to get it in you. It's antiseptic AND antibiotic!

 
At 1:46 PM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

I was going to say honey too. When I was growing up, whenever any virus would go around, it would settle in my throat. Honey, tea with lemon (and honey) and a toddy doesn't hurt either :) It doesn't heal it, but it makes your throat more comfortable.

 
At 2:34 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Dang, you still can't talk? Well you are doing the right things. Lots and lots of warm liquids. Also don't stop your walks, they will help to detoxify and flush you out.

 
At 8:39 PM PDT, Blogger Viva Scrapper! said...

Oh Honey! I've had several bouts with laryngitis and I feel your pain. I can imagine how tough it would be in your profession not being able to speak.
Try gargling warm sea salt water. It helps me.
Take care of yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery