Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cowl Bandwagon

Everyone's knitting and crocheting cowls for gifts this holiday season. I've decided to jump on that bandwagon and go for it! I'm a fan of the Neck-Warmer actually....instead of a continuous tube like a cowl, this is really just a short scarf with buttons. I tried a few knitted versions....too slow for me. I experimented with some crochet stitches....too bulky. I finally found one crochet stitch that works for a neck-warmer. It's the basic granite stitch (sometimes called the Moss Stitch), but instead of single crochet stitches, I used half-double crochet stitches. It's airy, light and flexible, even with bulky yarn.Sooooooooo....I zoomed over to Yarns Unlimited in Santa Monica yesterday (my go-to LYS) and picked out some Trendsetter "Tonalita" and some Ironstone "Colorchanges." Both are lovely, luxurious yarns in faboo color combos. I have several buttons on-hand. WOW! How fast!!! This is a perfect, quicky holiday gift for deserving friends and co-workers!
Specs: Size "H" crochet hook. Chain 95. Row 1: Single crochet across. Next 10 rows: Granite Stitch, using half-double crochets. Single crochet border around entire piece. Sew on button. The holes in this stitch pattern are large enough for a button to go through, making this an adjustable neck warmer!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 12:57 PM PST, Blogger justclaire said...

Ooh.. These look lovely! With my new found crochet obsession, I may even try to make a couple myself :)

BTW.. you'll be pleased to know I found all the Red Heart I needed for the picnic rug project in Walmart in Williamsburg. I bought so much, it almost had an entire suitcase to itself for its journey home!!

 
At 1:15 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

Oh yes, I prefer the neckwarmer style too! With the cowls you have to pull over your head, if it doesn't snag on my hairclips or gat tangled up in my long hair, it's bound to get hooked on my glasses! Such a hassle. Actually I've got that on my holiday knitting list too!

 
At 3:03 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Your cowls are fabulous! Love the colors. Aren't they fun to make?!

 
At 3:32 AM PST, Blogger Sarah said...

oh wow i can't wait to have a go at making these, they look fabulous! love the colours!

 
At 7:17 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the idea Ellen! I'm going to make some for Christmas gifts too!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 9:28 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWESOME!! Great holiday gift idea and love the colors

 
At 1:28 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have taken to calling the neckwarmers "scarflettes" - I think I will try this pattern since I need to make 35 of them quickly for a charity gift give away for a mentoring program my friend is in! Thank you for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery