Wednesday, November 05, 2008

"A Change is Gonna Come"

Sweater photo from Nocturnal Knits; Sweater design by Laura Birek; Adapted from Shepard Fairey's Obama Poster
If I still had my radio show, this is what I would play. Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come" was a song of hope in 1964 when it was released, after Cooke's death, after the death of our President, John F. Kennedy and at the height of the Civil Rights Movement in America.
If you voted yesterday, you were a part of history. I believe in Obama's push for community involvement and helping others. In my own way, I plan to work together with others and lend a helping hand. This holiday season I will begin by donating knitted and crocheted items to various charities. Won't you join me? Some of my favorite charities: Stitches From the Heart; Project Linus; Caps for Kids; Warm-Up America; American Red Cross. There are many more opportunities to help here.
I heard this on the radio the other day. I don't know the name of the man that was speaking, but I will always remember his eloquent words,
"Rosa Parks sat so Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. could walk. Dr. King walked so that Barack Obama could run. Obama ran so that we could fly." Then (if I still had my radio show), I'd cue up the song "I'll Fly Away."

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 1:39 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you Ellen, it's time to step up and work for others. At work we are knitting and crocheting baby hats for the Save the Children project - "Knit One, Save One". There is an action kit about this project at this link.

http://www.savethechildren.org/programs/health/child-survival/survive-to-5/knit-one-save-one.html

Christine G.

 
At 2:06 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the link, Christine! This sounds like a great group.

 
At 4:29 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well put!
(Maybe in the future you could think about creating an internet radio podcast ... but that would take away from your valuable craft time)
I'm so happy how it all turned out
Lisa in Toronto

 
At 4:34 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks, Lisa.

A few of my other fellow radio d.j.s having been thinking about a podcast.

I used to crochet and/or knit while I was spinning sides on the old radio show. I got plenty of craft time in!! LOL!

 
At 7:22 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome sweater! Indeed we will fly.

 
At 4:22 PM PST, Blogger jillian said...

Beautiful words...

 
At 5:29 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

another vote for a podcast, becaus if you still had a radio show and programmed it that way, I'd want it to be streaming!

 
At 3:03 PM PST, Blogger Lulu said...

wow, thats a beautiful sweater...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery