Thursday, October 23, 2008

Craft From The Past

Was it first grade, second grade? When did we make potholders on a loom in school? I remember making some blue and white ones for my Mom. She used them for years.
I've been clearing out my closet a bit in anticipation of moving into my new and improved closet. I came across my old metal potholder loom. Wow! Of course, I didn't have any loops, so I ordered some. You can buy wool, cotton or synthetic loops. I ordered some wool loops and some polyester ones. The polyester loops are in hot, modern colors. The wool loops are slightly more traditional looking.
I have so much old yarn, I'm wondering about using this same little loom with some bulky yarn and just tying up all the ends. I keep you posted on my progress.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 4:08 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Oooo - I remember those! I think I did that back in first or second grade also, maybe during a sort of Christmas Camp that the local Y held for kids of working parents over the school holiday break.

 
At 5:37 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man! I remember these. I must have made 100 pot holders for my mother. I wish I still had that thing.....must go to ebay and see if I can get one

 
At 10:53 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Groovy.

I never made any potholders on a loom but I likey.

 
At 12:19 PM PDT, Blogger Jenn said...

Yup, remember them here too! That's another good crafty thing for my daughter to make for gifts this year! Thanks for the reminder!

 
At 5:47 PM PDT, Blogger Sally said...

I think those potholders were a proof that you were an adequate child.

 
At 9:15 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

Brought me back to Summer crafts at Green Elementary School in Compton. Lots of potholders, lots of lariats, lots of copper plaques and painted pottery hangings.

 
At 3:45 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have not read your blog in ages but today decided to do so and look back as well .... and this takes me back. My Aunt still has a potholder that I made. She also has a pencil box made from a Camp Fire Girl candy box. I am feeling a real urge to purchase a loom and some loops as well.....HELP!! What will happen to my knitting??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery