Monday, December 01, 2008

KoreaTown Adventure

California Market, 450 So. Western Ave., KoreaTown
I had absolutely NO PLANS on Saturday. I did a few chores around the house, a bit of crocheting, then I decided to go out. I needed a few gifty food items for some upcoming holiday gifts. I always like to browse the aisles at the California Market on Western Avenue in KoreaTown. They have the most amazing teas, fruit, vegetable, meat and fish sections.
Produce Section @ California Market
Do you need soy sauce? There's an entire long aisle dedicated to different types of soy sauce, kimchee, tea, noodles, etc. It's like taking a trip to a foreign country. Kimchee @ California Market
There are also some food stands inside the market. At the ends of many of the aisles you'll find ladies in chef's outfits cooking samples to savor. I almost had lunch at the noodle stand inside the market, but it was really busy.
Tea @ California Market

I've always been intrigued by the piles of logs outside this little stand on Western and 8th St. called Pollo Ala Brasa. The wood-fire smoke smells divine everytime I drive by.
Pollo Ala Brasa, 758 So. Western Ave., KoreaTown
It's attached to this car wash, so you have to park across the street or around the corner. I had the specialty, 1/4 Peruvian chicken with rice and beans. It was yummy, I must say. Cooked to order and crispy on the outside.
There are a few tables inside, but most people pick up lunch to go. I'll go back if I'm in the neighborhood, but for quick and delicious wood-fired chicken, I really prefer Dino's on Pico near Normandie.
There are many more shops and restaurants to explore in our vast KoreaTown. This is only the beginning of the adventure!

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 2:59 PM PST, Blogger Kath said...

How fun to have a day to just roam and explore!

There's a drink I used to like that you can only get at asian markets like the one you visited. I think in the U.S. it is now marketed as "Calpico". The original (and unfortunate) name of the product is "Calpis". You can imagine why that wasn't selling well!

 
At 3:50 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Ellen...you're so lucky that these interesting neighborhoods are close to you. What fun.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 6:40 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

OMG. Joe always wants to eat at that place. I tend to think rats live in that wood pile, but if you say it's delicious I believe you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery