Wednesday, March 15, 2006

You Can't Eat Atmosphere

The best crazy chicken in town!
Want chicken? Our friends, Amy and Stuart introduced us to Dino's Burgers. Dino's serves the yummiest chicken in town! I've never had a burger here, even though that's what the place is called. The chicken and fries are just toooooo intoxicating!
Dino's is at 2575 West Pico Blvd., just east of Normandie on Pico in the Byzantine-Latino Quarter. This area is called the Byzantine-Latino Quarter primarily due to the fact that Saint Sophia's Greek Orthodox Cathedral is nearby. Also, Papa Cristo's CK Market and Greek Restaunt is down the block. After many of the Greeks left the neighborhood, Latins started owning and operating businesses in the area. Now, Greek, Latin, Korean businesses operate in this lively area.
Dino's is open Sunday-Thursday from 6am to 11pm and Friday-Saturday from 6am to midnight. This is a perfect take-out place, but you can eat there too. It's really just a stand with a small dining room and a few tables outside. The owner, Demetrios Pantazis invented the chicken marinade. I detect vinegar, garlic, maybe oregano. There's also some sort of spice that turns the chicken bright orange, very much like tandoori chicken. The chicken plate comes with a 1/2 bird, coleslaw, corn tortillas, French fries and hot peppers. The sauce from the chicken seeps into the huge mound of fries and they become delicious droopy morsels of yum. By the way, they make their fries and coleslaw from scratch. You can substitute rice and beans or a traditional salad if you prefer. Also, the 1/2 chicken plate is really inexpensive...less than $5.
Dino's has a little parking lot, but there is street parking. Go there, get orange fingers and lips!

Labels:

10 Comments:

At 5:42 PM PST, Blogger Bri Ana said...

I lived at Wilshire and Normandie for years- how could I have not known?!? The Greek/Italian Deli right there is awesome as well.

PS - Thursdays are so bad for me, but I keep promising Regina I will attend the WeHo SnB as soon as humanly possible!

 
At 11:51 AM PST, Blogger Uccellina said...

That makes me very, very hungry.

 
At 12:46 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Holy CRAP, that's a lot of food for five bucks!!! I love that you "review" places like this - I always wonder about them when I see them, but I have never stopped at one.

See you tonite?

 
At 2:36 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen!
We love Dino's. We go to the one on North Broadway in Lincoln Heights. It's always crowded!

Luba
Echo Park

 
At 10:21 PM PST, Blogger Nic said...

Hi Ellen, Thank you so much for providing my LA fix (living in a California hating state, going to this site is my dirty little secret SHHH)

I have a question for you. I have about 50 traditional granny squares that I made when I was 9. I never put them together. They are four rows, five after I do the black last row for each (keeping it traditional.) They seem to small amount on their own, I dont have the desire really to add to them. I thought about maybe doing a blanket with panels of squares... with thick black gridlines... what do you think? What would you do? I know you can inspire me to pull them out and finish them off!

 
At 3:45 PM PST, Blogger El Bandini said...

mmm I see this place all the time but never thought of checking it out. I'm not much a burger guy but I love chicken and french fries

Dino's here I come!

 
At 12:05 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm! This may give my favorite, Zancou(sp?) Chicken a run for the money!

Kim (from Playa del Rey)

P.S. Do you remember a great BBQ place on Pico in that same area? I've been thinking I'd like to try to go there again. Can't remember if the name was Leo's, or was that another place?

 
At 12:47 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Bandini! YOU are the take-out King! I'm honored that you will try Dino's at my suggestion. I think you'll love it!

Kim! Yeah, Zankou is one of my fave chicken places too. There's one in WLA now, on Sepulveda and Santa Monica Blvd.
Hmmm? Can't think of a BBQ place on Pico near Normandie. For BBQ, I like the Tasty-Q on Crenshaw near 33rd. It's in an old Taco Bell building. They deep-fry turkeys there too!

 
At 1:38 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dino's is really, REALLY good! I love how the sauce gets on the fries, making them soggy... yum!! I usually ask for extra sauce on mine! You get so much chicken for so little money! Yum!

 
At 4:48 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The BBQ Place was Carl's, oh how i miss that man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery