Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Crochet Crown Research

2005-2006 Crocheted Crown
Every year I try to crochet a new Mardi Gras hat or crown. This year's version started out as my Halloween costume and morphed into Larry's crown.
I saw some felted crowns online. The knitter used a few of Nicky Epstein's books to facilitate her crown creations. I thought, "Why couldn't I use crocheted edgings for a crown?" I got out my Leisure Arts "50 Crocheted Afghan Borders" by Jean Leinhauser and started experimenting. This is a great little book. There are many uses for these borders besides using them on afghans. You can trim a sweater, collar, cuff, purse, placemat, scarf....anything!
I got out a size "F" crochet hook and some Cascade Tweed Wool in yellow. I worked up 3 different pattern samples. I like them all and will probably use them in my next crown. THEN, I thought that I might as well felt them and see what happens. WELL, I've experimented with felting crochet-work before, and because of the nature of crochet stitches (they're thicker and tighter than knitted stitches), crochet just doesn't felt that much....or at all! Turns out my samples shrunk about 1/4" each. I think I'll probably use very thick yarn and a small hook to crochet my crown and NOT felt it.
Back to the crochet lab!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:30 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

you put that up for me, didn't you?! I know you did. even if you don't admit it.

 
At 4:05 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Oh Monkeygurrrrrrl....crown research is ongoing in my life! I'm always striving to create the perfect crown. Want to have a crown-a-long?

 
At 10:34 AM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I totally would - if I could crochet for more than a minute. I love to crochet, but for some reason, it hurts my wrist. :( Maybe if you came up with a *knitted* crown. . .

 
At 8:56 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to resurrect such an old post, but that crown is freakin' AWESOME! Is there a pattern, by chance, and would you be willing to share said pattern?

 
At 10:14 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Sorry, Anonymous. I have never written a pattern for this hat. Basically, it's just a hat with yellow embellishment!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery