Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Building Blocks

Puffed Flower Granny Square - 100% Virgin Acrylic Yarn
I read Drew's post yesterday about Heartmade Blessings. He is part of a group that puts together comfortghans for people in need. He's looking for donations of afghan squares for the group. Drew has all the specifics on his blog regarding how big to make your comfortghan squares, what type of yarn to use, etc.
I L*O*V*E crocheting granny squares. I've often said that "granny squares are the building blocks to fashion." When the crochet craze of the late 1960's, early 1970's came on, I couldn't wait to learn how to crochet so I could make some granny squares and put them together in a long vest to wear over my muslin peasant blouse and blue jeans. Squaw boots were in style at the time too. We were oh so colorful back then!
30 + years later and, surprise, granny squares, brightly crocheted clothes and the flower-child look is back. Thank goodness I honed my crochet skills early so that I'd be prepared for this fashion comeback!
Vintage Acrylic & Dazzelaire Yarn from Super Yarn Mart
As soon as I crochet a few more squares, I'll be sending them to you, Drew!
If you'd like to make some granny squares for donation, here's an easy pattern to follow. Also, Drew also listed more patterns on his site for you to crochet. Start building those blocks to fashion and philanthropy now!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 3:23 PM PST, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i wish i could granny square!

i'd just like to inform the internets of my love for all things ellen bloom.

 
At 4:02 PM PST, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

And from Super Yarn Mart yarn to boot. You rock!

 
At 4:22 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Miss Kendra...You are too kind...thanks for the compliments!
Wanna learn how to crochet? I'll teach you!

Lady L - Yes, we do love our Super Yarn Mart yarn. I've been hoarding it for too long...time to share!

 
At 1:48 PM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I love your squares. Would you believe that I know how to crochet, but I never learned how to do a granny square?! I just think they are so cool.

 
At 4:06 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

OK...anyone at the WeHo SnB that wants to learn how to make a granny square: Bring 2 or 3 colors of similar yarn, a crochet hook, scissors and I'll show you how to make this building block to fashion!

 
At 7:07 PM PST, Blogger ~drew emborsky~ said...

Thanks for your support!! :)

 
At 10:05 AM PST, Blogger Mama Kelly said...

love granny squares!!! they are probably my favorite crochet item to make

and my inner hippie wants me to make all kinds of clothing items out of them

 
At 11:10 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

golden goose
kyrie 7
kd shoes
yeezy 500 blush
golden goose sneakers
paul george shoes
hermes birkin
kyrie 5 spongebob
palm angels hoodie
moncler coat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery