Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Shawl Gone

Shawls 'R Us!

I've been crocheting shawls since last February in anticipation of this year's gift giving season! Each shawl is crocheted with sock yarn, so even though they are wool, none of them is too heavy. Their weight is perfect for our SoCal weather. This coming Sunday, my Knit Krewe is meeting up for it's annual present extravaganza-a-go-go! We usually meet at Natalie's house, but this year we'll be partying at Mary Jo's place on her newly designed deck, weather permitting. I'm putting together little gift bags for each of my Knitster Pals.
I think this might be our fourth year of exchanging gifts. We all met at the WeHo Stitch 'n Bitch and have become fast friends. Sadly, one of our charter members, Carla, has moved to Houston. Of course, we're still in touch. In fact, Carla sent me a wonderful gift a couple of weeks ago. It was 3 skeins of this very, very soft yarn from Hobby Lobby. It's their brand of acrylic. I declare...it feels like cashmere to me! I looked online to see if I could order this yarn, but I couldn't find a good site for Hobby Lobby. Looks like you have to actually go to a store to get this wonderful yarn. Carla also sent me a collection of Susan Bates crochet hooks (my fave) with bamboo handles. I love using them!

Test Granny with Carla's Yarn and Bamboo Handled Crochet Hook

I'll be sad to see all the shawls leave my dresser drawer, even though I know they're all moving on to active and colorful lives with my girlfriends!

11 Comments:

At 6:11 PM PST, Blogger susanc said...

The shawls are beautiful Ellen! What lucky ladies to receive one!

 
At 6:21 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

woohoo~
can't wait.

 
At 6:35 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Iv been wanting to try shawls, do you happen to have some links :)

 
At 7:04 PM PST, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

Oh, I'm so jealous.

 
At 7:38 PM PST, Blogger Cindy said...

Oohhh just beautiful! You have some very fortunate friends who got some awesome gifts.

 
At 8:02 PM PST, Anonymous Pamela said...

Love your site, first time commenter. Thought I would share that Hobby Lobby recently announced that shopping online will be available soon. Yay!

 
At 9:55 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

wow that is a pile of beautiful accomplishment! There'll be some happy friends on Sunday.
I have to admit I am as distracted by the idea of sitting on a deck as I am by the allure of your crochet.

 
At 10:32 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks so much for ALL the comments, everyone!

Renee'- Check www.ravelry.com for some easy crochet shawls. I've made the "Seraphina" shawl and the granny triangle quite a bit. Another one I like is "It's a Wrap." If you don't belong to Ravelry, you should!

Pamela - Thanks for the Hobby Lobby ordering info..can't wait!

Gale - Yeah, we're very lucky here in L.A., being able to sit outside and enjoy a meal at the end of December! gloat, gloat.

 
At 6:51 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A note of appreciation for this blog. You enrich my life in so many ways! Wishing you the happiest of New Years!

 
At 7:15 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just used "I Love This Yarn" for the first time, and i was completely bowled over at how wonderfully soft it is!! You have to wash Red Heart several times to get it this soft, I will be using it again. and at my local HL, its cheaper than RH.

 
At 9:13 AM PST, Blogger mj said...

I am drooling in anticipation!! (Is that too gross?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery