Friday, December 02, 2011

Vintage Photo Friday

I have an attraction to eyeglasses. I need to wear them to see, of course, but I also like to think of them as a fashion accessory. I've written about my frame collection extensively. Throughout recent history, glamorous people have worn glasses.

Sophia Loren
Marilyn Monroe
Edith Head
My idol, Barbie

Fashion icons have designed eyeglass frames:


Then, there's my very own fashion-forward, four-eyed husband, Mr. Larry:


I'm particularly fond of these "Boy Watcher" glasses from 1965 that resemble space-age alien glasses but were really invented so girls could stare discreetly at any young man walking by without being too obvious. They double as a head band. Brilliant!

UCLA Photo Archives

"Granny Glasses" were popular when I was in high school and college....debris from the hippie generation:

I just picked up my new eyeglasses today from Jeff at Westside Opticians. I do love them!

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!

Labels: , , , , , ,

8 Comments:

At 3:17 PM PST, Blogger Strickmuse said...

Oh my, those glasses are so pretty and they look lovely on you. I loved the pictures you posted. I have the same Barbie (love the 60s/70s) but different glasses on mine and those space alien glasses, well one of my Barbies, Francis had the coolest outfit with those glasses. I should still have them in a box somewhere. Made me smile.

 
At 3:25 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the comments AND compliments, Susanne!

 
At 4:24 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

Wow, those glasses look great on you and espcially with the new hair color. They are very cool frames.

Have a great weekend.

 
At 8:57 AM PST, Blogger betty said...

Your glasses look fabulous, and I'm very impressed with your collection. I remember those space alien frames -- I thought they were hilarious at the time!

 
At 9:23 PM PST, Anonymous Twilight said...

Oh cat eye glasses-so cute! They look great on you.

 
At 10:40 AM PST, Anonymous Richard Henderson said...

Saw this and immediately wanted one:

http://42andpointless.tumblr.com/post/13774158752/dilaudid-dilaudid-nei-giorni-fatti-di-nebbia-e

 
At 10:45 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

ooooooo, Richard Henderson!!! You've found a winning hat!!! I might just have to make one of those. GENIUS!!! thanks for the link!

 
At 7:00 PM PDT, Blogger beachgal said...

People seem to want to call those last vintage glasses 'granny glasses' but in fact, when the trend hit when I was in college in '65 at USC, they were called Byrd Glasses after the glasses Roger (then Jim) McGuinn wore in The Byrds. Seems after John Lennon showed up in them in that movie How I Won the War Daddy in '67 some started calling them Lennon glasses or rimless glasses. I think it was the 70s before more folks started calling them Grannie Glasses.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery