Thursday, April 11, 2013

Rollerdrome

Culver City's Rollerdrome

Recently someone posted a photo of the old Rollerdrome Roller Skating Rink in Culver City.  This old photo brought back many wonderful memories of roller skating birthday parties and fun-filled Saturday afternoons.  I was never into ice-skating, but roller-skating was the perfect activity for my childhood neighborhood.  It was easy enough for really young kids to enjoy and risky enough for older kids to experiment with skating down steep driveways in the Hills of Beverly.
I remember a private birthday party room at the Rolerdrome with wooden tables and long benches.  The birthday kid's mom would always bring cake and punch for the party kids. During the afternoon, the regular overhead lights would go dark and the twinkling color lights would glow in the wooden vaulted ceiling.  The announcer would call all of the birthday kids to the center of the rink and we would be the featured skaters for at least one song.  The music at the rink was supplied by the organ player.  It was always peppy and skate-worthy!
The Rollerdrome was torn down in 1970, after over 50 years of service to the skaters of the area.  Tellefson Park was built on the site, 11105 W. Washington Blvd., Culver City.  I would so love to roll around that beautiful wood rink a few more times on wooden wheels under those sparkly lights.  Sigh.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 10:41 PM PDT, Blogger PhotonMark said...

I used to love it too. I actually live about five properties down from it and have for about 38 yrs. I grew up on Sawtelle at Washington since the mid fifties. My alley ends at the back. I used to play around there as a kid and skated there as well.
I walked by it every school day to La Ballona for six years. I met a guy not much older than I that played organ there (can't remember his name) Rockin' something.
So yeah, I remember it.
Thanks a lot. I was gathering some search items for my kids (one's in Au.) and needed a pic of the place. I like that it is clickable and opens to get a bigger image!
I said that it looked haunted and that maybe ghost skaters are skating around the park at night and maybe I should go down with my camera (yeah,dark humor,a family trait)

 
At 9:11 PM PST, Blogger Stephen Taylor said...

Featured in an episode of "The Fugitive" from 1963-64 called "Taps for a Dead War". Dr Richard Kimble worked there briefly, as was the case with all his jobs.

 
At 9:58 AM PDT, Blogger Joyce Granville said...

My mother and I used to skate here. They would always play the song: Blue Tango and the glitter ball would show twinkling lights on the floor. I am sorry it is gone, but the memories of my mother and I skating on that grand wooden floor live on!
Joyce Granville

 
At 10:23 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the memory, Joyce!

 
At 2:57 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

My grandparents used to live right across the street at 11122 Washington Blvd. My dad's cousin was a competitive ice dancer in the 50's and the Rollerdome was her home rink. I loved watching the skaters and listening to the music.

 
At 3:38 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the comment, Lainee!

 
At 2:49 AM PDT, Blogger Dorothy Johnson said...

I am very impressed with this design. It is a work of art, it goes beyond my vision. I remember it was in a movie I've seen before about roller skates

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery