Wednesday, April 08, 2015

Lacy Mitts

Christie Pruitt's Lacy Fingerless Gloves.  I like the colorful ones!

The weather in L.A. this year is wacky.  Over Easter and Passover weekend we had a heat-wave. Yesterday, it rained. Today, it's breezy and on the coolish side. This weekend it should warm up. It's cold inside my office, hot in the car. Ack!
I've heard that if your pulse-points are warm, then you are warm. I've taken to wearing fingerless mitts to achieve a bit of warmth. I have many pairs in different colors. Some are knit, some are crocheted. The mitts make great gifts too.
I've made a lot of fingerless mitts over the years!

Recently, I found this simple pattern on Ravelry by Christie Pruitt called "Lacy Fingerless Gloves" (see top photo). This is a straight-forward, easy crochet pattern. I've made a few of my own modifications to these gloves. I started out with the Foundation Single Crochet stitch, instead of just a chain. The Foundation SC gives the glove a bit of stretch at the bottom. After I finished crocheting the rectangle that becomes the mitt, I crocheted a row of single crochet stitches around the entire piece before joining at the edge. Once joined, I added another row of single crochet around the thumb-hole for stability. I also added a picot crocheted edge to the top of the glove so that I'd know which way was up when putting on the gloves!
Ellen's Lacy Fingerless Gloves, Koigu KPPM yarn

I used about one-third of a skein of Koigu KPPM yarn, leftover from a shawl project. I also increased my hook size to "G," because my hand is large.
Overall, I'm pleased with this quick project. Next time I might add a half-thumb in single crochet.
Next up, photographing my new project. This takes more time than the actual crocheting! I saw this photo of fingerless mitts online and thought it was so cool:
Hip, electric guitar-playin' chicks in pink jeans wear knitted fingerless mitts!

I tried to imitate this photo, above, using one of Larry's guitars. We were rushed this morning, so our photo is just OK. I need to position my hand like the hip chick above! Where's Gale Zucker, knit photographer extraordinaire, when I need her?
What is wrong with this photo?  Well, my hand is in the wrong position. The neck of the guitar is essentially the same color as the mitts and it takes away the attention from the mitts. I need to show more guitar-action and generally pretend that I am a cool person, twangin on my axe!. Argh! Must schedule another photo shoot.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:11 AM PDT, Blogger ken bloom said...

Actually, Ell, your hand is in a good position for playng with your thumb. The "hip chick" is positioned well for using all her fingers. Your hand position is more like Willie Chambers or Albert King. Both kept their fingers down past the pickups to allow the thumb greateer mobvility for playing. You're all set to get down and be soulful!

Ken

 
At 7:41 AM PDT, Blogger Lenora said...

Love your photo with the guitar! And great mitts, too.

 
At 7:52 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the professional opinion, Ken!!! I WAS actually playing the guitar! I'm mainly still a Carter strummer on guitar, but electric opens up new vistas of playing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery