Friday, April 10, 2015

National Siblings Day? VPF

Palm Springs, 1964.

I'm re-posting this from last year.  Nothing has changed.  I still love my brother.

After perusing Facebook this morning, I found out that today is National Siblings Day.  Sheesh!  There's a holiday for EVERYTHING now.  Used to be we'd just celebrate each other on our birthdays.  Now, my brother and I have a particular day where we can reminisce about how he used to call me "Shrimp," "Pokey" and "Pipsqueak." 
Hollywood, 1959
Halloween, 1957

Sherman Oaks, 1958

San Francisco, 1959
Los Angeles, 2004


I must say, I'm eternally grateful to my brother, Ken for teaching me how to play the ukulele, guitar and banjo and for furthering my love of American Roots music.  We are seven years apart, so I cannot remember too many favors I did for Kenny when we were kids.  He was out of the house by the time I was 11 or 12.  I do remember Mom saying that he couldn't use the family car unless he took his little sister along, thus ensuring that he wouldn't get into any REAL trouble.  Little did Mom know that I was sitting in smoky back rooms at The Ash Grove (L.A.'s premiere folk music club) listening to the less than wholesome sounds of Reverend Gary Davis, Ramblin' Jack Elliot and Bill Monroe rehearse before performances!

After all these years, Ken has maintained his interest in music, making it his life's work.  This weekend he's hosting the Pilot Mountain Bowed Dulcimer Festival in North Carolina. 
Me, I'm still playing the same three chords on the ukulele!  
At left is a blurry photo taken at our Mom's 90th birthday, 2-1/2 years ago, with our spouses, Larry and Ginny, Marina del Rey.  We must get together soon to take some better photos for posterity, Bro!

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6:49 PM PDT, Blogger ken bloom said...

Great photos Ell!! The festival is going very well. IT's great to have these little walks down memory lane. Puts me in mind of an LA that was more conducive to the kind of musical gatherings that we used to have. When the beach was open, Venice was cheap, and the world seemed way less threatening. Thanks for remembering Siblings Day!

 
At 8:28 PM PDT, Blogger Brenda said...

This is a sad day to be an only child!

 
At 9:22 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

What a great post Ellen!

 
At 10:44 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for all the wonderful comments, my friends! I ran the same post last year. I'm so glad that many of you are seeing it for the first time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery