Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Back to the 60s

Saturday night we were transported back to the early 1960s. I decided to re-live my youth and purchase tickets to see Jim Kweskin at Boulevard Music in Culver City. Decades ago I'd inherited my brother's jug band record collection, which included The Jim Kweskin Jug Band album (1963). 
Considering that I idolized my older brother, Ken at the time, the music that he loved was the music that I loved. He taught me to play the most unfeminine of instruments, the jug! It involved a lot of spitting. I do love the snappy music of the 1920s and 30s on this record.
Although the performance on Saturday was not a jug band performance, Jim played lots of old-timey songs. He sounded great! He was accompanied by bass player Matt Berlin and a harmonica player. I didn't catch his whole name, but Pedrick was part of it!
Pedrick (?), Jim and Matt
Jim performed on guitar and 5-string banjo. His playing and singing sound the same as they did in the 1960s! 
Jim Kweskin, Matt Berlin

It's always fun seeing shows at Boulevard Music in Culver City. The vibe is great, the room is small and the sound is perfect. Thanks, Gary Mandell, for another great show!

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery