Monday, August 05, 2019

Latest Obsession

Margaret Qualley as "Pussycat" in "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood"

Quentin Tarantino's movie, "Once Upon A Time In Hollywood" was released last week. Larry and I went to see it immediately. Last summer when the movie was in production, we haunted the sets in Hollywood, Westwood and beyond to get a glimpse of how Tarantino brought back our 1969 Los Angeles.  I wrote about the transformation HERE
Seeing the movie locations in person was awesome. There was so much detail that didn't even show up in the movie. The stores along Hollywood Boulevard had actual items in the windows from 1969, along with vintage advertisements, signage and more.
Photo by Alison Martino. Re-creation of vintage TV and small appliance store on Hollywood Boulevard
Needless to say, the wardrobe in what we are now just calling "The Movie" was excellent too. I was particularly taken with "Pussycat's" crocheted halter top. 
Crocheted Halter Top, worn by Margaret Qualley
I searched and searched through my own vintage crochet patterns and on the internet, but could not find this exact halter top. It wouldn't be that difficult to re-create. To re-construct this pattern, I'd begin with the star in the center of the circle.
Crochet Star Pattern Tutorial
I would probably crochet a larger star and extend the points. Then, I would crochet a circle around the star and connect the points with about 15 chains in-between each point. Next round, I'd crochet double crochet stitches in another color. I would continue in this fashion, using different rainbow colors until my star in the circle was large enough to cover the upper chest area.
The eyelet, scallop area leading toward the bottom of the garment is merely a row of loops along one side of the circle.  Continue in various colors with double crochet to desired length. Edge the piece, adding neck and back straps in contrasting color.
I came across a few patterns on Ravelry that are similar. The links to each pattern are in the captions.
Sunburst Crop Top
Floral Medallion Halter
Lotus Crop Top
My days of wearing crop tops and halters are over. I don't remember even wearing a top like this in 1969! HOWEVER, it would be cool, BoHo chic to incorporate one of these star motifs into a t-shirt style top or slip-over sweater!  You would follow the same method as crocheting the halter top, just make sleeves and a back!



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery