Monday, May 08, 2006

Consumer Report

Costume Jewelry-a-Rama-a-Go-Go
Saturday was a shopping day! A few of my WeHo SnB buddies, Darcy, Natalie and Carla came over to my house early (10 am) and we zoomed west to a little swap meet in Santa Monica. The location of this swap meet shall remain nameless. Find your own cache of good ol' stuff to buy!
Anyway, one of the booths at this little swap is chock full o' costume jewelry. My good friend, Rhoda discovered this swap. She is the supreme queen of costume jewelry. She knows the history, artisans and value of everything. The prices are very reasonable at this booth and we all went kinda' crazy. We barely even looked at any of the other booths. Many shekels were spent.
After all of this shopping we were starving, so we drove over to our fave westside taco place, Tacos Por Favor on Olympic and 14th to chow down.
Rhoda had to leave us after lunch, but Darcy, Carla , Natalie and I then drove over to the Talking Stick on Ocean Park near 17th St. None of them had been to the site where the Tuesday SnB meets. We noticed that the owners had mounted and hung the beautiful Talking Stick blanket that a few of us had contributed squares for. Two doors down from the Talking Stick is this store that specializes in Oaxacan arts and crafts. Faith purchased a bag there made out of colorful oil cloth that we all admired. Of course, we all wanted one. There were lots of choices, styles, colors. There were tote bags, suitcases, makeup-cases, messenger bags, etc., all verrrrry colorful. More purchases, more money spent!!!
I suppose we hadn't spent quite enough money or shopped quite enough, because we all decided to visit Shannita at her new venture....A Mano Yarn Center in Mar Vista! Shannita is now one of the owners of this great yarn shop. Too bad Shannita wasn't there at the time...we left her a note. Shannita knitted these darling dolls to represent the owners of the shop. Of course, we had to purchase a few items!!! We started talking about granny squares while we were at A Mano, so instead of doing any more shopping, we went back to my house for a granny square crochet lesson. Carla, Natalie and Darcy are now on their way to realizing my mantra....."granny squares are the building blocks to fashion."

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 5:34 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

Looks like you all had a splendid time!

So funny that you are spreading your granny square cheer. You're the best Ellen!

 
At 5:41 PM PDT, Blogger Bri Ana said...

Can't believe I could make it... I would have spent so much. I was sick (still) on the couch. Thank you again for the coolest birthday card ever - now that's my kinda cake.

 
At 6:21 PM PDT, Blogger Lulu said...

wow, great find...you all had a great time.
i love the dolls, so cute..

 
At 7:20 PM PDT, Blogger Lori said...

Looks like you gals had a lot of fun--can I beg to be invited the next time you go to the swapmeet? I almost drooled over the jewelry picture!!!

 
At 10:18 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Lori!! I told Darcy that she could bring a friend!!! You'd better take this up with her. Apparently, she wanted all of the jewels for herself!!!!

 
At 4:15 PM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

Lori can go next time only if she wears the I'm With Darcy shirt!!

 
At 3:23 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I want to go, too. I've been holed up here at the Firm and when I saw your jewelry pic, I almost DIED! So many pretty, shiney things! You can just drop me off in front of this booth. I don't need anything more.

Except maybe one or two of those really cute purses. . .

 
At 8:10 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I missed you guys! :-(
I'll be at WeHo as soon as life gets a little less hectic. And just where IS that swap meet? Looks like fun!

 
At 8:35 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I had girlfriends like you've got! Most of mine, don't really get shopping crazy, they shop, but not much, as for me I simply love it! I loved all the pictures of jewelry, now I can understand you, if I was there, I would probably buy half of the stuff I saw!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery