Thursday, October 19, 2006

The Mosaic House

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cheri & Gonzalo, Front Patio of Mosaic House
This coming Sunday, 11/22, is the Fall Art Show at The Mosaic House. The artists and owners of this must-see house are Cheri Pann and Gonzalo Duran. Both are marvelous painters and sculptors. Cheri and Gonzalo have transformed their little Palms boulevard post-war tract house and studio into a whimisical mosaic extravaganza, inside and out.
Cheri and Gonzalo used to open up their studio every single Saturday to visitors. I suppose they wanted some privacy, so now it's only open for the art shows and by appointment.
I'm a big fan of California tile. I love Malibu Tile, Claycraft, Catalina, Batchelder, etc. Los Angeles architecture is rich in tile. I grew up with tile. I love the vivid images. A marvelous example of Malibu tile is the Adamson House. The Adamsons and Rindges owned and operated Malibu Potteries in the 1920's and 1930's. Their beach house is an exquisite example of the medium. I urge you to tour this magnificent home and see examples of classic California tilework.
Waaaaay on the other side of classic California-style tile is The Mosaic House. When you see Cheri's and Gonzalo's house from the street, you are amazed at the garden. Wait until you walk inside the house! Gonzalo has covered almost every inch of the place with tile and color, from the kitchen to the bathroom to the studio...it's a frenzy of color, shape and texture.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The stove in the kitchen is purple!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cheri's Multiple Portraits of Gonzalo
In the huge studio are Cheri's and Gonzalo's painting and sculptures. Many items are very reasonably priced. However, there is no pressure to buy anything. Just go and experience this eye-candy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

"Skyline-2" by Gonzalo
They call him the 'Chagall' of Mexico

You can read about Cheri and Gonzalo here. Years ago, when I first visited The Mosaic House I asked Cheri how she met Gonzalo. It's a most romantic story. Cheri buys paint at Nova Color in east Culver City. Gonzalo has worked there for years and he always waited on Cheri when she came into the store. One day, Cheri and Gonzalo were in the back of the store, looking for a particular color that Cheri wanted. They started kissing. They've been together ever since! LOVE that story!!!!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

One of Gonzalo's Shoe Sculptures

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Cheri's 'Nude' Plate

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Gonzalo & Cheri in the Studio

See you on Sunday at the Mosaic House, 1116 Palms Boulevard, Venice CA 90291(between Lincoln Blvd & Penmar Ave). All photos in this post are from Cheri's and Gonzalo's website.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 3:52 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing artwork!

 
At 8:46 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love pottery! You are so right about Adamson House, it's so gorgeous. I miss all the old pottery places in Southern California. It seems that they are all gone now.

 
At 9:03 PM PDT, Blogger Abby Hansen said...

These are great!

Have you ever seen the tilework on the house/garden up in Beachwood Canyon?

And oy, beer can hats.
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I almost want to make one.

I need help.

 
At 11:36 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Abby!
Yes! I've been to the Garden of Oz in Beachwood Canyon...love that place!
I think I will make a beer can hat, except I'm going to exchange the beer cans for my preferred drink, FRESCA!

 
At 12:29 PM PDT, Anonymous Kirsten said...

Hi Ellen -
I love your blogs! I live in Los Feliz as well and love exploring it (www.mermaid_jones.livejournal.com)

I noticed on one of the message boards I found while doing a google search that you have access to the Garden of Oz! Do you know if they make appointments? I would love to bring my niece and nephew to the Garden since I fell in love with it from the outside recently. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated. I tried to find an email for you but couldn't so please excuse this public post.

Kirsten
kirstelisa@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery