Wednesday, November 08, 2006

World Famous Crochet Museum

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

World Famous Crochet Museum
Joshua Tree, California

This past weekend we visted the high desert cities of 29 Palms, Joshua Tree and Yucca Valley for the 5th Annual Morongo Basin Studio Art Tour. One of the higlights of the tour was visiting the Art Queen gallery in Joshua Tree. There are six separate buildings, located in back of the local music store. I believe this complex used to be a motel. A few of the buildings, including an old trailer had art installations within...paintings, sculpture and such. For me, the highlight was a lime-green old Foto-Mat booth in the center of the property called the World Famous Crochet Museum. Artist and musician, Shari Elf's collection of found crocheted and knitted objects is spectacular.
My digi-cam shorted out (mysterious, eh?), so all of the photos in this post were taken by L.A. photographer and all-around great guy, Larry Underhill.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Art Queen Complex

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Inside Crochet Museum
Former Foto-Mat Booth

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I've promised to donate my crocheted taco to Shari's museum. Now, I just have to find it, buried at the bottom of some yarny totebag!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Ellen, Shari and Shari's latest "Cher" Painting

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 12:16 PM PST, Blogger Faith said...

OH MY GOD Ellen that looks like so much fun!!!

I can't wait to go!

 
At 12:45 PM PST, Blogger Ana Petrova said...

Ellen, how do you find all this interesting stuff? I'm amazed! Great blog entry!

 
At 1:00 PM PST, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i want to live inside that museum.

 
At 3:02 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's just about the coolest museum EVER!! :)

 
At 3:04 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I sooooo agree with all of you! I was bummed when MY photos of the Crochet Museum zonked out and I had to rely on Larry's lovely photos. Mine showed MUCH more divine crochet detail.

We must return!!! Maybe we should plan a Stitch 'n Bitch field trip there! Whaddya think?

 
At 5:33 PM PST, Blogger Madge said...

Who's ever seen so much crocheted goodness in one place? It's a little slice o' heaven on earth!

P.S. Where are the toilet roll covers?

 
At 9:44 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I vote YES on a field trip. This looks like the coolest place ever!

I wonder how Shari curates the items she displays. Where indeed are the toilet roll holders? And those crocheted bunches of grapes, that were crocheted over bottle caps? I know my mother made several of those...I wish I still had them.

Oh, I yearn to crochet something soon.

 
At 12:52 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm so excited- we're going to Palm Springs Thanksgiving weekend, and we planned on going to Joshua tree. Now I have finagle Jake and his Dad to made a detour out of the park... perhaps I can wave shiny objects in front of their eyes...

 
At 12:52 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PS- a snb field trip sounds great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery