Thursday, May 03, 2007

My Favorite Weekend

Angelino, Charles Phoenix
Our very own Charles Phoenix is featured in today's L.A. Times' "My Favorite Weekend" column in the Calendar Section. The man is a media hound! His upcoming show at the Ford Ampitheater next weekend could have something to do with this exposure. Well, I say, Good for Charles!

The "My Favorite Weekend" column in the L.A. Times has been a bone of contention in numerous L.A. food blogs. Many comments about this column have said that we don't really care that starlets eat at The Ivy on Robertson and go to other trendy spots to "be seen." Another aspect of this column: Some people say they have an amazing breakfast in the east Valley, then head over to Redondo Beach for some fun in the sun. Yeah, right. Getting from Pacoima to Redondo takes about 1-1/2 hours in the L.A. traffic. That doesn't sound like much fun to me. I just love it when some rapper talks about having dinner in Santa Monica and then hitting the ArcLight in Hollywood for a movie. Traffic? Remember that?

L.A. just isn't what it used to be. Everything was 15 minutes away until around 1985. Double the drive-time now.

Anyway, I digress. Charles Phoenix's choices for his favorite weekend are extremely refreshing. No fancy schmancy places for this California native. Noooooo. He eat's at Taylor's Steak House, The Palms Thai, In-N-Out Burger, La Luz del Dia on Olvera St., Maria's Cafe at the Midtown Lanes and Bob's Doughnuts at the Original Farmers Market.Yessiree! My kind of guy and my kind of restaurants! Charles Phoenix is a true son of Los Angeles....an Angelino Extraordinaire! Yo, Chuck....catch you at Phillippe's!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 11:45 AM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

It's so interesting to know that LA was reasonably navigable that recently. I have found my key to happiness living here is to find a 'hood (for me - SoPas) and settle in. My job, all my appts (docs/hair), stores, and most other things are within 10 miles or less!

And, ummmmmm, In-n-Out burgerrrrrrrs.

 
At 12:16 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Jillian,

I agree that it's great to live in a neighborhood like So. Pas. where you have everything at your fingertips. HOWEVER, don't forget to explore our wonderful Los Angeles when you have the time. There's alot to see in this vast, interesting City!

L.A. Ell

 
At 2:10 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

Charles eats like a normal person!

 
At 3:40 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

Tell Charles to come visit Bakersfield. We have so many great little "mom & pop" restaurants here...nothing fancy. He'd love this town!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 4:25 PM PDT, Blogger Neil said...

It's refreshing to read someone who actually goes to some of the same haunts you go to. Most LA Times readers aren't brunching at the Ivy.

 
At 1:03 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've meet a few LA Times reporters during the years at Palms Thai restaurant. One was the food editor. It just gives you hope, you know.

Ellen I am addicted to your blog. Keep up the great work.

 
At 1:11 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Liz!

Thanks for the compliments and thanks for commenting! We love comments!

Ellen B.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery