Sunday, March 16, 2008

Red Heart Rocks!

IMG_8501
The Designer and her Muse
I finished the sweater I was knitting for my Mom. We had breakfast today with Mom and my step-Dad, Hal. They live in the Marina, so we met them at this really good coffee shop called Nichols. After breakfast, we went back to their place. I had Mom model the cardigan. It fits her beautifully. She loves it. She chose the yarn because she loved the color. You know how Red Heart yarn is kinda' crunchy and brittle-feeling? Well, since it's 100% virgin acrylic, I knew the cardi wouldn't shrink if I machine-washed it. So I did. It still wasn't soft enough. I added a capful of fabric softener to the next wash. That stiff, crunchy acrylic cardigan came out feeling like the softest alpaca! It was amazing. Now the sweater has a very nice drape to it too.
IMG_8487
IMG_8485
Today, yarn manufacturers are creating softer acrylic yarn, like Caron Simply Soft, Red Heart Soft, Bernat Satin Yarn, Paton's SWS, etc. The yarn in Red Heart Super Savers is still stiff. Fabric softener changes all that! You too can make an entire adult size cardigan, calling for approximately 900 yards (3 skeins of RH) for Under $10! Don't get me wrong....I still love my Noro, Koigu, Rowan, Misti-Alpaca and other fancy yarns, but for durability, wear and economy, I believe in the Goddess Red Heart!
IMG_8495
Hal and Roz
OK, that's enough for yarn endorsement time. More about our Vacation in L.A. weekend tomorrow.

Labels:

11 Comments:

At 6:47 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Yup! I think I'm heading over to join the Red Heart Brigade. I still have certain wooly faves but the way that stuff softens up after one wash is amazing. I ran a couple of caps knitted for charity through the laundry before sending them out and when they came out of the dryer I touched them and converted!

 
At 8:35 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

Such a cute model!

 
At 9:07 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Your Mom looks fantastic in her new sweater! And love her frames!

 
At 9:08 PM PDT, Blogger Yarnartist said...

The sweater came out beautiful and your mom looks wonderful in it! Very flattering color for her. I know she will get a lot of compliments when she wears it.

P. S. Love Nichols!

 
At 9:59 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

Your mom looks beautiful in her sweater. You did a great job Ellen. I will try the softener with Red Heart Yarn. That is so good to know! Soft like alpaca - way cool!

 
At 11:49 PM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

A perfect fit! It looks lovely on your mom. Nice job!

 
At 1:49 AM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

The cardi looks Fab on your Mum! I may just have to get me some of that Red Heart on my next trip to the States later this year:)

 
At 7:04 AM PDT, Blogger jillian said...

Your mom's sweater came out perfect! And fabric softener, who knew?

 
At 11:59 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

WOW! I'll have to use my Mom as a sweater model more often! Thanks for all the compliments!

 
At 1:23 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful sweater and beautiful Mom! I love that design, it's great!

 
At 10:39 AM PDT, Blogger Stephknits3 said...

Wonderful job and your mom is so cute! I also am a big Red Heart fan. It is usually "poo-pooed" upon but it has been around forever.. (and will probably survive a nuclear attack) but I can't help but have a soft spot for it. Yeah for fabric softener!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery