Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Lipstick and Lace

"Lipstick" Variegated Yarn - Gull Lace Stitch
Last night I did a practice swatch for my Lipstick February Lady Sweater in the gull lace pattern. I'm almost done with the yoke portion of the sweater. I thought that the lace pattern might be too busy with the variegation of the yarn. I was right. Too much goin' on for my taste. I will probably continue the body of the sweater in garter stitch with a slipped stitch every inch or so to elongate the look....much like I used for my Mom's taupe sweater.
I've received SO many compliments on on this Lipstick WIP. People have been commenting here and on Ravelry about the colorway of this yarn. That's why I bought it. The different tones of red, pink and burgundy just drew me in. I think it looks like a handpainted custom wool.

Hahahahahahahahaha!

It's Red Heart Super Saver....color: Lipstick. 244 yards for less than $3 per skein. It's not a colorway that I've seen often, so when I do see it, I snap up a few skeins. It is, however kinda' crunchy, since it is 100% virgin acrylic. In this hot weather it has been squeaking a bit on my needles. Once my FLS is knit up, I will work my magic on it and wash it in the machine using fabric softener only...no soap. I did this for my Mom's taupe sweater and it came out silky and soft.
There are so many wonderful new colors and textures coming out in acrylic yarn. Next time your'e in Michael's, Joann's or your local craft store, check the aisles.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 1:25 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Far OUT, I love it!

 
At 4:25 PM PDT, Blogger susanc said...

I'll have to keep my eyes open for that colorway! When you wash it, how much softener do you add and do you just wash it through a regular cycle and then throw it in the dryer under gentle?

Sounds like a great way to get rid of that crunchy feel to the acrylic yarn. I've noticed that after I've washed an afghan I made many years ago, it did come out a lot softer.

Thanks for the heads up on this yarn Ellen. It really is a pretty colorway.

 
At 5:14 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hey Susan,

Thanks for the compliments.
I use a capful of softener when I add it to the wash...just like detergent. It really is amazing how all of the sizing and stiffness goes right out of the yarn after it's washed. Good luck!

 
At 5:15 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE the colors in that yarn, Ellen. I can't believe that it's Red Heart. I suppose all the yarn companies are getting more stylish.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 7:44 PM PDT, Blogger mary said...

I think a February Lady Sweater would look awesome in your STR Heavyweight in Jasper! How about giving your fancy stuff some love? ;)

 
At 9:44 AM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

Ha! I knew it would be one of your fabulous 100% Virgin Acrylics!! I shall be hunting some down on my trip to Virginia in November.

 
At 3:48 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In my area, Walmart has more of a selection of yarns then Joanns or Michaels. I also buy at the boutique yarn stores, and was a prior walmart hater but I have to admit, I miss the general merchandise stores like Newberries where fabric was sold, and even Kmart used to have a sewing notions section, that they dont have anymore- so I try to purchase yarn at Walmart when ever I visit- it is part of that same tradition that has elsewhere died off. I dont go to Target, so I wouldnt know if they sell yarn there. But Walmart has a whole wall of yarns, and fingerwieght which I couldnt find elsewhere- its not that bad really.

 
At 10:29 AM PDT, Blogger Christy T said...

Isn't that funny? I have 3 or 4 skeins of this in my stash... Love it! And I agree, one wash, and the stuff gets soooo soft!

 
At 10:21 AM PDT, Blogger Homebody said...

Hi Ellen, I'm delurking to say "Thank you!" for using acrylic so nicely! I'm not a very adept crocheter or knitter, but I enjoy the process of both. I use inexpensive acrylic yarn so I can have fun without feeling like I've wasted big bucks on an imperfect finished project. Your projects prove that acrylic CAN be beautiful in the hands of a master! The tip about washing in fabric softener only is great! Thanks again and I love your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery