Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Passover Prep

Passover Meal Prep

Tomorrow, Wednesday, April 8th, at sundown is the beginning of Passover. This year, since Passover starts in the middle of the week, we have a few Seders to attend. I will be helping on Wednesday night at a local Seder. Saturday my family's celebration will be held at my cousin's house in Valencia. Most of our extended family on my Mother's side live in various California cities, from San Francisco to San Diego, so that's why we decided to have the big family Seder on Saturday instead of the traditional first night.

We all have our assignments!

My cousins, Marilyn and Carolyn, and I do all of the cooking. Aunt Roz brings all of the dishes, utensils, glasses, etc. Aunt Mae brings dessert. I've assembled many of the non-perishable items for my cook-a-thon-a-rama on Friday. Friday morning, I'll go out and buy the rest of the ingredients I need and start peeling, de-coring, slicing and dicing. I'm making the kugel, compote, macaroons and preparing all the ingredients for the traditional Seder plates. It's a big job, but at least we all work together. This year we expect 30 relatives to sit down to our family Pesach Seder! Oy!

Crochet News: On Saturday I attended a lovely luncheon and yarn swap. I scored some truly beautiful Colinette Jitterbug yarn from Ms. Madgik. Yesterday I grabbed my "G" crochet hook and started crocheting "It's a Wrap" with this beautiful yarn. I probably won't have enough yarn for a shawl, just a scarf, but I just can't get over the beautiful sheen of this yarn. It's truly spectacular. Thanks again, Madge!

Happy Passover to all who celebrate!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

At 1:43 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Gorgeous yarn!

Happy cooking!

 
At 3:55 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheesh, Ellen...that's a lot of meal planning to do! 30 people at a sit-down dinner! I salute you and your cousins for taking this task on!

Happy Passover and I LOVE that green yarn!

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 8:35 PM PDT, Blogger Lisa R-R said...

Do you have any favourite dessert recommendations?
I have made a chocolate almond cake, or an orange nut cake, but I am not feeling very inspired this year.
Have a good time with your family!
Lisa in Toronto

 
At 7:10 AM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Happy passover to you too Ellen! I'm in charge of a pavlova for dessert, charosets and a marinated asparagus salad that I brought for a family seder when I was in college and now I have to make it, still, EVERY YEAR!(tradition).
ps that shawl is gorgeous.

 
At 8:30 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that Collinete...it's my favorite color. Should be a lovely scarf.

HAPPY PASSOVER!!

 
At 8:34 AM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Happy P-Day to you and yours! Be sure to tell Marilyn I said "Waddup, Dawg!" (or some other appropriate Passover salutation). I hope you have a great time with all the family (not too much crazy making!)

 
At 10:04 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

Happy Passover wishes to you and your family, Ellen! (Wow, 30 people? You're queens of the kitchen, you gals.)

And I'm glad you like the Jitterbug. It's crocheting up like a dream, ain't it?

 
At 9:19 PM PDT, Blogger Annette said...

Happy Passover to you and your family! That's a lot of people to cook for. Have a good time. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery