Tuesday, March 24, 2009

FIELD TRIP!

The Courtyard at the Hammer Museum
Mark your calendars for Saturday, April 18th. I'm organizing a meet-up at the Hammer Museum in Westwood to see the exhibit, "Nine Lives, Visionary Artists from L.A." The art of our very own, Lisa Anne Auerbach is part of this legendary exhibit. From the exhibition catalog: Lisa Anne Auerbach’s artistic practice is multi-faceted -- she is a writer, a passionate advocate of bicycling, a knitter, a photographer, and a political activist. Auerbach has co-opted the traditional female craft of knitting and transformed it into a tool for wry, pointed political messages. Her contribution to the exhibition includes sweaters with hand-knit political jokes and riddles, as well as ‘cover girl’ self-portrait photographs featuring the artist in deadpan poses revealing the artist’s sly sense of humor.
We will meet in the beautiful courtyard of the Hammer Museum at 12:00 noon. Here, we can sit, knit, crochet and have a little snack. There's a Wolfgang Puck snackbar or you can sneak in your own munchies. It might be a bit chilly, so bring a wrap.
At around 1pm, we can proceed upstairs to the exhibit. Lisa will be there to hang out with us and answer any questions we may have about her process and artwork. On a side note, Lisa has recently proposed a class at the Public School so we can all learn how to make sweaters, skirts and other garments with a message, just like she does.

It's a wonderful exhibit! Two more of my fave artists are involved, Jeffrey Vallance and Llyn Foulkes.
Parking at the Hammer is easy. The entrance to the underground parking lot is on Westwood Blvd., just north of Wilshire. $3 for 3 hours with validation. Since the Museum is on the corner of Westwood and Wilshire, it's accessible by bus too. Scroll down to check the schedules here. Admission to the Museum is $7. Tickets are sold in the bookstore, upper level, near the gallery.


All are welcome, not just fiber people. It's going to be a grand afternoon of culture, yarn and friendship. Let me know if you're planning on being there in the comments, below!

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At 1:09 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

I'm in. I love Lisa's work.

 
At 2:37 PM PDT, Blogger jenna! said...

Woo! I'm in.

 
At 2:38 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

So there!

 
At 3:03 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Woo Hoo!
Laurie Ann, Jenna and Natalie! This is going to be soooo fun. I know that we'll have plenty more fun folks joining us on the 18th! Can't wait.

 
At 5:55 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

With you in spirit! (I really need a bicoastal life, you have too many fun things going on).

 
At 7:10 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

Oo, I'm marking that on my calendar...I think I can make it!

 
At 8:11 PM PDT, Blogger Lori said...

oooh, me too, me too!

 
At 8:31 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

I'm in - add me to your list!

 
At 1:12 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

I know your outing wouldn't be complete without me, so . . . I'm seriously considering it. If I can get myself outta bed that early, that is.

 
At 4:01 PM PDT, Blogger WineGrrl said...

I'd like to go....maybe we can go to the Noodle Planet afterwards, LOL!

 
At 9:33 AM PDT, Anonymous Kyle Kunnecke said...

here it is! found the info... :) I think I wanna attend as well...sounds like fun! I'm putting in my outlook...

:)O

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery