Monday, March 09, 2009

Artful Knitting

Lisa's Suspended Sweater/Skirt Torsos

If you're a member of the knitting community in Los Angeles, you're sure to know about Lisa Anne Auerbach's work. Many of Lisa's knitted art pieces have been displayed in exhibitions throughout the world; her work has been documented in books and more! We attended the opening of "Nine Lives: Visionary Artists from L.A." at the Hammer Museum in Westwood on Saturday night to see Lisa's current exhibit. Wow! What a scene. It was so crowded that we had to park six levels down at the Hammer. We were familiar with a few of the artists: Lisa, Jeffrey Vallance and Llyn Foulkes. The exhibition took over most of the top floor of the Museum. There was a booming party goin' on in the courtyard. Almost every person interested in the L.A. art world was there.


From the exhibition catalog: Lisa Anne Auerbach’s artistic practice is multi-faceted -- she is a writer, a passionate advocate of bicycling, a knitter, a photographer, and a political activist. Auerbach has co-opted the traditional female craft of knitting and transformed it into a tool for wry, pointed political messages. Her contribution to the exhibition includes sweaters with hand-knit political jokes and riddles, as well as ‘cover girl’ self-portrait photographs featuring the artist in deadpan poses revealing the artist’s sly sense of humor.
Lisa and Ellen

I follow Lisa's blog all the time, so I know the stories behind most of her sweater/skirt creations. I found myself explaining some of the pieces to her admirers as we wandered through the exhibit of torsos hanging from the ceiling.

Artist, Jeffrey Vallance and his Wall of Tikis

I definitely want to return to the Hammer to view this show again, without the throngs of people crowding into the exhibition space. OK...everyone...this would make an excellent field trip destination and performance knit-in-public event! Let's go!

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 2:13 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

I'd probably be up for that on any Saturday or Sunday as long as it was in the middle of the day so I can make a day trip of it and not miss the boat home! Let me know!

 
At 2:28 PM PDT, Blogger KnittingBlueContent said...

Lisa's stuff is amazing! I had no idea she's L.A. based *and* in a show. How cool.

Her latest - the "Octo Mom" piece is my favorite, but I really do love all her stuff. So creative and inspiring.

As soon as scientifically possible, I'm hoping to be miniaturized, so I can take up residence in your pocket Ellen. Until then, I'll keep enjoying your blog immensely.

April

 
At 4:45 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Oh, I too Love Ms. Auerbach's work. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE. And I love the visceral reactions she engenders (especially the ones from folks who *don't* like her work!) She is just so fully committed to the principles she believes in and doesn't make any apologies. And yet, she is just cute as a button! :)

 
At 7:34 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

YAY...field trip!

Let's go!

 
At 10:19 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

I agree -- let's go!!

 
At 9:02 AM PDT, Blogger Marcela said...

Hi Ellen,

I'm sorry I missed the opening, but I'll definitely go see it some time soon. I enjoy reading your blog, and perhaps I'll see you this Saturday at the library. I'll be bringing my "famous" crocheted cardigan.

Marcela

 
At 12:22 AM PDT, Blogger Megalion said...

Wow! This looks like an art show I have to go to! How long does it run til? I'm not sure I can make it in March.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery