Friday, March 20, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday

I love old family photos. Both my Mother's and Father's families took lots of photos. Many of them were posed photos in elaborate studios. Below is a photo from 1920 in Philadelphia of my Uncle Mort (left) and my Dad (George, right). My Dad was born in 1919 in Philadelphia, but the Blooms moved to Los Angeles when George was one, so I assume he was about 6 months old in this photo. Uncle Mort was probably 2 years old. Such cute little devil boys! About a year later, my Uncle Hi came along. Can you imagine my poor Grandma Ethel with three wild little boys, so close in age, running around the house!?!
Morton and George Bloom, Philadelphia, 1920

My mother's family, the Katz's, came to Los Angeles from New Jersey before my Aunt Mae was born, probably around 1915. Below is a photo of my mother's younger sister, Celia and my Mom, Roz. The year is 1928. That would make Roz 6 and Celia 3-1/2. They are standing in front of their family house on 2nd Avenue in the West Adams district of Los Angeles. This weekend, I might just take a drive past that old house to see how it looks today.

Celia and Rosalyn Katz, Los Angeles, 1928

When I was little and watched the old Our Gang/Little Rascals movies on afternoon TV, I used to think that my Mom looked just like the character, Mary, played by Mary Ann Jackson (right). I remember screaming for my Mom to come into the den from the kitchen to see Mary on TV. I thought, for sure it was Mom. She tried to tease me a bit and said, "Yes, that's me. I was a movie star when I was your age, but then I gave it all up just to look after you and your brother." I couldn't believe that she would give up all that fame and glamour just to take care of us. I was right. She was messin' with me.
Below is a photo of my Mom and Dad, before they were married in 1943. I'm sorry the photo is so scratched and damaged. I just love that big bow in Mom's hair and her stylish pleated slacks. My Dad was so skinny and look at all of his wavy hair! They had a wonderful marriage for 61 years until my Dad passed away in 2004 at the age of 85. Mom is still zooming around the City in her big car. Watch out for her!

Roz and George, Los Angeles, 1942

Have a great weekend! To see more of today's vintage photos, click here.

Labels: , , , ,

12 Comments:

At 12:41 PM PDT, Blogger justclaire said...

Great pics this week Ellen. Funny how you thought your Mum had been a movie star! When I was little, my Dad told me that he was "born under a wanderin' star" and that the song was written about him. I believed it until I was about 10 years old!!

Oh, and I've been a copycat my own Vintage photo Friday this week!

Have a great weekend.

 
At 3:06 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely a very strong resemblance there! And I'm sure that if your mom HAD been a movie star, she still would have given it all up to look after you and your brother. How could she have resisted the two of you?

mistie

 
At 3:09 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 3:25 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

"Can you imagine my poor Grandma Ethel with three wild little boys, so close in age, running around the house!?!" Why, yes. Yes, I can - my two older brothers and I were 11 months apart. I guess that's just how they did it back in the day.

LOVE the pictures. It makes everything seem so happy and romantic back then, even tho you know they had their own set of issues. Thanks for sharing.

 
At 7:45 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! She really does look just like Mary Ann Jackson.

 
At 5:14 AM PDT, Blogger inkberryblue said...

Such beautiful, happy photos.
Thanks for sharing them, Ellen. =]

 
At 7:34 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are so charming! My husband's grandmother was an Ethel and I just wrote about her on another blogger who is doing VPF.
Your mom and dad look very stylish and happy!
Cheers,
Tracey

 
At 9:19 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

3 great photos...so glad you have them and share on V. Friday.

 
At 11:00 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

I love vintage photo friday (which totally slipped my mind).

The photos are beautiful. Your mom and dad are just a cute all grown up as when they were tots!

Love the Little Rascals story. I can see why you thought it was your mom!

 
At 7:08 PM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Oh these are too wonderful, the one of your parents especially! (and your mom does look like Mary. I don't remember her,of the girls I only remember Darla)

 
At 7:57 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the photo compliments, Gale. Luckily, my family has always been photo-crazy, so I have plenty of family archives to draw from.

Mary, from the "Our Gang" comedies was in the first group of short movies that started during the silent era and made it thru the early 30's. Darla, Alfalfa, Buckwheat and Stymie and the "later" Gang movies were made in the late 30's thru the 40's. Little Spanky bridged both series and started out as a baby in the early films, then graduated to star position in the renamed "Little Rascals" series. I think there were a few "Petey" dogs. Even Robert Blake was in those later films when he was a child!

I guess living in the City and near the streets where those Hal Roach comedies were actually shot has its advantages. Old film history just seeps out of everything here in Los Angeles.

 
At 8:46 PM PDT, Blogger Le_Vintage said...

those are some really truly beautiful images! i love all them it's hard to pick a favorite!!! i think i like the one of the two little girls =]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery