Friday, August 28, 2009

Fire Season

"Animals don't start fires. Smokey the Bear, part of the U.S. Forest Service exhibit in the Sportsmen's Show at the Pan Pacific, warns 2 1/2-year-old Crystal Mae Mitchell about dangers of fires."
Photo by Hal Jensen, 1962 from LAPL Archives
Who says we don't have seasons here in Southern California? It just so happens to be Fire Season right now. Ugh! It is horrible. People have been forced to evacuate their homes. Our air quality is awful....there's smoke and ash all over the Los Angeles basin. We're a burnin' Hell here, folks!!!
First, there's the Station Fire in the Angeles Crest National Forest, the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains; then, there's the Palos Verdes Penninsula Fire in Portuguese Bend area and now I just heard that there's a fire near Hemet, in Riverside County. All of these fires are due to dry brush and hot temperatures. If your grounds are part of a hillside, please remember to clear the brush! I know it's expensive, but if you don't take on the responsibility, then the County will do it for you and charge a lot!
More vintage photos here.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 1:35 PM PDT, Blogger The Adventures of the LLB Gang said...

Stay safe!!

Beth in Austin

 
At 2:30 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Yay, for Smokey the Bear. Boo, for brush fires. The sky is positively weird looking today.

 
At 8:19 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Yeesh! I remember my local wildfire and evacuation in 2007. Not an experience you want to repeat but oh, I do understand so well what those poor people are going through!

 
At 4:49 PM PDT, Anonymous donna said...

I love Smokey the Bear! Matter of fact, I almost named my youngest daughter Smokey. It was fire prevention week on base and this idiot, I mean guy, was dressed like Smokey. He thought it would be cool to come tap me on the shoulder and scare me. Well that he did...took my breath away. I was 9 months pregnant...and it was not funny. I went into labor and Jessica was born right after midnight!

 
At 4:56 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hahahaha! Donna! That's a great story! Is Jessica's middle name Smokey?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery