Friday, November 20, 2009

Vintage Photo Friday

This is the Thanksgiving edition of Vintage Photo Friday!
At the head of the table, Grandpa Sam, Aunt Mae (standing), Grandma Freda, Cousin Marilyn, Cousin Janet, Uncle Bob, Aunt Celia, Mom (closest to the camera), Me, Cousin Carolyn
Every year since I was a tiny girl, my Aunt Mae and Uncle Marvin have hosted our family Thanksgiving. Aunt Mae is my Mother's older sister. Here we are in 1956 at Mae's and Marv's duplex on Spalding Drive in Beverly Hills.
After Dinner!
L-R: My brother, Ken, Dad, Grandpa, Uncle Bob
Our family has grown substantially over the years. We no longer fit into a normal-sized dining room. This year, 30 of us will be celebrating at the Del Rey Yacht Club. I do miss the home-cooked meal and leftovers. We always had deli-style appetizers before the traditional meal. There was chopped liver, herring, the obligatory relish tray with onion dip and more. The actual main meal was very traditional: Turkey, stuffing, sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top, green beans, cranberry sauce. We always had pumpkin pie and mince-meat pie with whipped cream for dessert. Yum!
What special family dishes do you serve at Thanksgiving time?

Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 11:06 AM PST, Blogger Sarah said...

We have the standards too - the sweet potato puff topped with marshmallows, mashed potatoes, stuffing, brussel sprouts (I skip those), etc. My favs are my mom's sweet potato rolls and the five cup salad which includes sour cream, marshmallows, coconut, mandarin oranges, and pineapple - one cup each.

I'm definitely ready for next week!

 
At 11:10 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Ooo...Yum...Sarah! That 5-cup salad is often called AMBROSIA!!!! Double Yum!

 
At 11:45 AM PST, Anonymous Darcy said...

Thanks Ellen, now I am starving! haha Great photos.

 
At 12:10 PM PST, Blogger Lynda said...

Brings back wonderful memories

 
At 12:49 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heritage is Mexican. My Mom always served the usual turkey and stuffing dinner w/cranberries, sweet potatoes and green beans. THEN, she added a big plate of homemade enchiladas! I've carried on that tradition!

Teresa
WLA

 
At 1:29 PM PST, Anonymous Donna said...

Ellen, What a great family picture. I think you and I are the only surviving VPF posters! My family use to have the traditional turkey, dressing and all the trimmings. The girls go to their in-laws on Thanksgiving Day and then we all get together the day after. Since everyone is still full of "bird" from the day before, I decided this year I am fixing a brisket! Being together as a family is what counts to me, no matter if it is Thanksgiving Day or the day after...bird or no bird!

 
At 7:47 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The photos made me sad, I miss your Dad, Uncle Marvin, Grandma and Grandpa. Laurie wasn't even born yet. It all went by so fast. I will have fun in Paris. say Hi to everyone. Saw my Mom today: she looked good, was happy and we have a confused little infant on our hands.

 
At 9:03 PM PST, Blogger Karen said...

Remember when holidays were special and people dressed up? Your photos bring back great memories.

 
At 9:01 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

What an elegant Thanksgiving dinner. It used to be that way at my Aunt Pat's house, except I was always at the children's table. She had the most amazing guest bathroom with its flocked red wall paper and red beads hanging over the bathtub instead of a shower curtain. It was the mostest in my book as a kid, honestly it would still work for me even though it screams bordello in someways. But I am fond of a little tackiness.

 
At 11:24 AM PST, Blogger Kim said...

This was the day I was born! You must have been the youngest at the table, Ellen!

 
At 12:38 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

Looks like a lovely time. Alas my family has shrunk over the years (or at least my Thanksgiving dinners have). Enjoy your holiday and thank for sharing!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery