Monday, December 07, 2009

Saturday Overload

Christmas Tree @ The Original Farmers Market

Phew! I was swamped on Saturday. I started out early and went to The Grove. I had to pick up a few gifties. At 9:45 in the morning, the kids were already lined up to see Santa Claus! I quickly did my shopping and got outta there. You do not want to be at a major mall two weeks before Christmas...ugh...the crowds!
I picked up my shopping buddy, Rhoda and we zoomed out to Funky Junk Farms in Altadena. My friend, Yipsy, is a very talented jewelry designer and Saturday was her holiday jewelry show.
Yipsy's Jewelry Designs

I'd heard all about Funky Junk Farms, but hadn't visited yet. It was FANTASTIC. It's a very deep lot on a residential street in Altadena. When you walk through the front gate, you see a sweet little log cabin and a few vintage cars and trailers. As you continue down the walkway, you see more out-buildings, more trailers and yard sculpture! Funky Junk Farms appears to have been an old trailer park and trout fishing camp. There are even ponds for fish.
Yipsy's jewelry was in one of the out-buildings. It was packed with shoppers. Of course, Rhoda and I managed to snag a couple of pairs of earrings. Mine are fantastic...red, copper, orange...I'm wearing them today and I love them! Check below for a slide show of Funky Junk Farms:

Rho and I then traveled south down Fair Oaks Avenue into Pasadena. We visited the Folk Tree to see their current exhibition and the fantastic jewelry, pottery and sculpture from Mexico and other Latin countries.
The Folk Tree, Pasadena

It's a wonderful little shop. We grabbed a sandwich next door at the Central Park Cafe, then high-tailed it over to Echo Park and the studio of Peter Shire.
Peter's studio sale was low-key. He had some beautiful dishes, cups and saucers, vases, etc. for sale.
Peter Shire's Bowls

Rhoda had an early dinner enagement, so I dropped her off at her place in West Hollywood and continued west to my cousin Amie's jewelry sale at La Duree Hair Salon on Westwood Blvd. Amie is very talented and she was almost sold out when I finally arrived!

Cousin Amie, selling her elegant jewelry, Westwood

I finally made it home after my tour of Los Angeles basin craft shows. I had all intentions of cooking dinner, but I was just too tired. The wonderful Mr. Larry took me to Pann's for dinner! I was surprised to see a crowd there on a Saturday night. Usually, you see breakfast crowds, but not dinner crowds on the weekend! Oh well...we only had to wait a bit before enjoying our dinnner. I had the divine fried chicken....the best in Los Angeles, IMHO. Larry hadn't quite had his fill of Thanksgiving dinner yet, so he ordered the turkey and dressing plate. Both were faboo!
Re-reading my post is exhausting me!! I haven't even told you about my Sunday adventures!!!!

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 3:39 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

Ooh Folk Tree looks right up my alley. If only my car could take me east of Doheny Dr! Actually it did this weekend as I went to Park La Brea to see my Aunt. Looks like fun for sure.

 
At 3:56 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG I love that Funky Junk place. It's as if time has stood still.

Christine G.

 
At 4:01 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

loved reading every line and seeing every photograph!!!
Q

 
At 4:04 PM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

You traveled near and far on Saturday alone. I am looking forward to your Sunday adventure.

 
At 5:19 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa - I knew about the Funky Junk guys and the trailer park, but I didn't know about the Altadena location! I'd be content to just browse the grounds, sale or no sale. Fun!

 
At 5:22 PM PST, Blogger Jean said...

Phew I'm tired just reading about your shopping adventures. Fun! Fun! Fun!

 
At 5:46 PM PST, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Ok I don't think I could keep up with a day of shopping with you but even a non-shopping person like me could love the places you find. That Funky Junk place and the Folk Tree, wowow.

 
At 6:15 PM PST, Blogger Gretchen said...

Ellen - What fun!! I love following your adventures. I was at the Grove on Saturday - but only because I was paid to be there :) xoxo

 
At 5:10 AM PST, Anonymous Donna said...

Sounds like a wonderful shopping day! Wish I had a girlfriend here to do that kind of thing with. I would not have made it all day. I have to get my foot fixed! I want to shop all day again!

 
At 6:23 AM PST, Blogger carlita dee said...

Awesome! You're really making me miss LA. Your cousin Amie reminds me of you, and a little bit of our MaryJo.

 
At 9:59 AM PST, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Wow.

I'm overwhelmed just reading about your adventures (I made it to Fox Hills - just barely. And it is still Fox Hills, despite what their website says.) You are so amazing.

And sweet Mr. Larry, bless him. He's a keeper f'sure!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery