Friday, January 01, 2010

Happy New Year - VPF

The First Rose Parade, 1890

Happy 2010! I'm sittin' and knittin' while watching KTLA's broadcast of the Tournament of Roses Parade. It's my most favorite New Year's Day event. When I was a little girl, my Dad and I used to get up early to watch the parade on TV. One year...1961, I think, we drove to Pasadena after the Parade was over to see the floats in person. It was a highlight of my childhood.
Most New Year's Days in my childhood, we'd drive to Anaheim and Disneyland. My Dad and brother weren't big football fans, so we rarely watched the Rose Bowl on TV. New Year's Day was the perfect day to visit Disneyland...it was virtually empty!
Ellen and Kenny on the Autopia, Disneyland, January, 1956

Below are a few photos of past Rose Parade Queens and their courts. Thanks to the Tournament of Roses photo archives for the pictures.

1950, Queen and her Court 1967, Queen and Court, reading for travelin'
1972 Court, in their gender-bendin' pants suits!
Happy New Year! Enjoy the holiday weekend!

Labels: , , , , , ,

11 Comments:

At 9:21 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm watching the same coverage! Our City of Burbank float won for animation. We drove over to watch the float leave the decorating area last night, so it was exciting to see it on TV this morning, A WINNER!!

We went to the parade once in our 20s...after a night of partying we were sound asleep on the sidewalk by the time the parade started. LOL

Love to you and Larry,
Christine G. & Michael
xoxo

 
At 10:03 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That Autopia pic is the best. Happy new year, Ellen!

 
At 10:35 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Happy New Year!

We watched the parade this morning too while drinking tea and eating fresh baked bread.

 
At 1:00 PM PST, Blogger Kyle William said...

thank you for the vintage rose parade photo! We were just wondering what it looked like while watching this one... can you believe it's 2010?!

Here's to a wonderful year full of successful fiber adventures!!

 
At 1:54 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:) Happy New Year Ellen :)

Hard to believe another year has passed

 
At 6:46 PM PST, Blogger Jean said...

I had never seen the parade in HD before and was thrilled with the degree of the detail, it was such a pleasure. The floats are remarkable.

 
At 9:22 AM PST, Blogger Annette said...

Happy New Year Ellen!

 
At 4:55 PM PST, Anonymous Donna said...

The yellow pants suits are groovy man! Hope to be back to VPF next week. Hope I am not too loopy to post...foot surgery on Wednesday!

 
At 5:51 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

Again, we led parallel lives...my Dad loved to watch the parade even in his 80's. I used to watch with him when I was young as well. I have a picture of me and my friend Joyce at the floats the day after. Probably about the same time you went. I have always wanted to return but HATE crowds!

I agree, the photo of you and your brother is priceless and precious.

Again, happy new year to you and your family and thanks for sharing so much with all of us. It is such a nice diversion to my day!

 
At 10:13 PM PST, Blogger Beth said...

Those pictures are *fantastic*! I volunteered a little bit on the Burbank float this year; it gave me a whole new appreciation for the work that goes into those floats.

 
At 3:45 PM PST, Blogger Lisa R-R said...

Best wishes for 2010!
Thanks for your hard work on the blog this year. It is much appreciated.
Lisa in Toronto

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery