Friday, April 02, 2010

Vintage Photo Friday - Easter

Larry and John, Easter 1956, Sherman Oaks, CA

Above is a photo of my husband, Larry and his brother, John in the backyard of their home in Sherman Oaks. When I enlarged the photo I saw that there are two Easter baskets on the grass, filled with hard-boiled eggs and fake grass, along with the toy trucks. Maybe Mom and Dad hid the eggs in the yard, inside the toy trucks! Cute!
Larry's childhood home

I LOVE that Larry's Dad, Hoyt, took photos of their home without people in the pictures. Above is the dining room, waiting for Easter dinner to be set on the table. Below, the deco-style kitchen where the feast was prepared.


Both of Larry's parents have been gone for awhile, but I feel fortunate that I got to know them a bit before they passed. They provided a wonderful, loving home for their children.

Larry's parents, Hoyt and Marianna on their wedding day, 1947

Larry and I led parallel surburban lives in the post-war baby boom years. We marvel sometimes at our childhoods. We were so lucky to grow up in stable homes where both parents loved and respected each other. Before Larry's parents moved to the San Fernando Valley, they lived near my parents' first house in Beverlywood. Sometimes I wonder....if they hadn't moved over the hill, would Larry and I have known each other as kids?

Jack Rabbit, Arizona

So, what are you plans for Easter? We're going to our Annual Orphan's Easter Party thrown by friends. Everyone contributes to the meal. Egg dishes abound! I usually bring dessert. I hope our beautiful Los Angeles weather stays bright, clear and sunny for the day! Happy Easter everyone!

Larry, Jack Rabbit, Arizona, 2009

Oh! Don't forget to set your DVR's to record "The Ten Commandments" on ABC this Saturday. It's my fave Easter / Passover movie!

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 2:19 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures and happy memories for you guys! Have a great weekend.

 
At 8:37 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Spring Holidays! Love the photos. Was Larry's dad a photographer too? The shots are so artistic.

Hugs,
Christine G.

 
At 5:31 AM PDT, Blogger carlita dee said...

This post is the best thing about Easter so far. I love it, the pictures the memories and all. Happy Easter, Ellen and Mister Larry. :)

 
At 11:05 AM PDT, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

I LOVE the pictures - is that knotty pine in the dining room? Wonderful!

 
At 3:50 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Love the tour of Larry's childhood home. His house looks like it could have been in my neighborhood too. So Valley.

For Easter, we are going on a hike and picnicking.

 
At 5:19 AM PDT, Anonymous Lean G said...

i like looking back at memories through pictures..my dad would usually share his childhood and i get pretty excited when i see photos of him when he was younger

 
At 4:24 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Beautiful house Mr. Larry grew up in, and YES, in answer to your question, if he hadn't have moved over the hill, you most definitely would have known each other. But I like the way things turned out. :)

Oh, and 10 Commandments?! Pre-empted Jeopardy (okay, a repeat, but still - I get all those questions right!!) How is that an EASTER-themed movie?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery