Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Oh, Those Wacky Blooms!

Carol, Mort and Frances looking at old photos

It was my Uncle Mort's 93rd birthday this past weekend. Instead of having a party, Mort wanted to tour some of his old favorite places in Los Angeles. His daughters, Amie, Barbara and Carol put together the "Mort's Guide to L.A." map and, along with my Aunt Frances, they set off to tour the City.

Carol and Amie

They hit some former Bloom family stomping grounds like Boyle Heights, Downtown L.A., Hollywood and points west. On Sunday, OUR house was on the tour map. Frances and Mort hadn't seen our new room addition, so Amie and Carol brought them over in the afternoon.

Amie, telling me about their previous adventures

I had prepared a notebook filled with some vintage photos that my grandmother, Ethel (Mort's mother) had given my Dad (George) years and years ago. Mort loved seeing the old photos from his youth. They toured the house and then had a few snacks.
My recent crochet projects were on the dining room table. The Granny Mandalas were in progress.


Mort picked up one of the mandalas (doily) and plopped it on his head. Luckily, Larry was ready with the camera.

Nothing like a feisty 93-year-old! Happy Birthday, Uncle Mort!1950, Hollywood, California
L-R: Pop, Lawrence and Brothers, Mort, George and Hi Bloom
Front Row - my brother, Ken Bloom

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 7:27 PM PDT, Anonymous Crochet with Raymond said...

Oh Ellen your mandalas are gorgeous! I love the retro-ness of the colours... I'll add a link to your post so others can come and visit too!
XXX

 
At 11:08 PM PDT, Blogger Renee said...

Congrats to Uncle Mort and his longevity.

You have a lovely big dining table, is this where you crochet and craft?

Renee, spear401


P.S. I really enjoy learning the history of SoCal. I grew up in Las Vegas and took "field trips" as frequently as I could...Go Dodgers!

 
At 6:34 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Renee! Thanks for the compliments. Yes, this is where our Sometimes Sunday crochet meets when they're at my house to work on their projects!

 
At 4:41 PM PDT, Blogger Beth McDermott Oliver said...

What a wonderful time Uncle Mort must have had. He looks quite fetching - scrummy, actually - wearing your Granny Mandala!

 
At 5:00 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

That sounds like a great birthday and I bet he loved his photo album.

 
At 5:44 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

93?! SRSLY? Boy, you come from a family of vampires, don't you? No one seems to age!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery