Monday, April 09, 2012

Cookin'

Inglewood Easter Chick

Passover and Easter are busy cookin' days! On Sunday we were invited to Carol's and Thane's home for their annual Orphans' Easter Celebration. We always have a divine time at their sumptuous feast! Many of the guests bring food to share. This year, I brought deviled eggs. I hard-boiled my eggs the night before and cooled them in the fridge overnight. I always use Russ Parsons' method of boiling eggs.


Here's my recipe for Curried Deviled Eggs. This is a similar recipe my Mother used to make. I've added a few spices to the recipe over the years.

Roz's and Ellen's Curried Deviled Eggs

6 hard-boiled eggs, cooled and peeled
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Philippe's Hot Mustard
1 Tablespoon Sweet Pickle Relish
1/2 teaspoon Curry Powder (or a bit more, to taste)
Dash Pepper
12 Sun-Dried Tomato Bits (optional)
Paprika (optional)

After the hard-boiled eggs are peeled and cooled, slice them in half, length-wise. Pop out the yolks into a mixing bowl. Set the whites aside, being careful not to tear them. If you have an egg dish, this is an excellent way to serve them.


Mash up the egg yolks. Add mayo, mustard, pickle relish, curry powder and pepper. Mix well. With a small teaspoon, fill the cavity of each halved egg white with the yolk mixture.

Sometimes, I add a bit of sun-dried tomato to the top of each egg for garnish. You could add a bit of caviar or an anchovy too, depending on your taste. Often, I just dust the yolks with a sprinkle of paprika.


Lori and I both brought deviled eggs to the party. They are crowd-pleasers. We are now known as The Egg Ladies. Lori's eggs were supremely rich and yummy. She used aioli mayonnaise and a few other secret ingredients in her recipe. Don't her deviled eggs look classy?

Lori's Delicious Deviled EggsThe Egg Ladies in their Easter Bonnets

More cooking over the weekend. Well, this really wasn't cooking. I found Ungar's Gefilte Fish Log in the frozen section of my local Von's. This fish is far superior tasting to the bottled version. All you have to do is pop the frozen fish log into boiling water (retaining the thin tissue paper casing). I added a few carrots, onions and celery (diced) to the water, salt and pepper. After the pot returns to a full boil, turn down the heat and simmer, covered for about an hour. Chill, slice and serve with horse radish. DIVINE!!

Behold the Gefilte Fish Log...
A Thing of Beauty and Deliciousness!

Did you cook anything special this weekend?

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:01 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

You egg ladies sure look cute in your Easter bonnets.

I am a little bit scared of the gefilte fish log and at the same time happy that it exists.

 
At 12:16 PM PDT, Blogger Mia said...

Your Easter chick looks an awful lot like my mom's bantam silkie hens...

 
At 12:57 PM PDT, Blogger Julie said...

I made pineapple upside down cake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery