Wednesday, May 09, 2012

Color Blocks

 
I love the grid.  There is a basic proponent in studio art classes where, if you align your drawing or painting to an imaginary (or real) grid on your canvas, then your painting will be more pleasing to the eye.  There are exceptions to this rule, but if you're having trouble with a composition, it's usually helpful to utilize the grid.  
I've painted many visible grid paintings.  I like the sense of order and the feeling of structure that the grid gives me.  I've carried this grid obsession into my yarny pursuits.  Most of my pieces are based on granny squares, grid-like knit and/or crochet patterns, etc.   
My husband, Larry is a photographer.  He uses a color block, white balance chart when he's photographing artists' paintings.  He likes the image of the chart so much, that his business cards have the chart on them as part of his company's name.
When Larry saw that I was working on this Color Block Baby Afghan, he was immediately attracted to it.  This BabyGhan is for a charity baby shower that the El Segundo Slipt Stitch Knitting Guild is holding in June for an organization that shelters mothers and babies that cannot afford extras.


I used up quite a bit of scrap acrylic yarn for this piece.  Size "K" crochet hook, basic granny square pattern, join-as-you-go method.  I edged the piece in black and white for a crisp look and as a reference to the photographic chart.
I'll probably make a man-sized Color Block afghan for Mr. Larry.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 3:10 PM PDT, Anonymous Suze said...

Love those blocks of color. This is really cute Ellen. Lucky baby.

 
At 8:38 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's pretty!

 
At 9:04 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments, Ladies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery