Monday, May 07, 2012

Oregoniana


We're having an ongoing crochet-a-long and knit-a-long at the El Segundo Slipt Stitchers Guild that ends in July.  Two shawls were tagged for this activity:  Multnomah, the knit  version and Klamath, the crochet version of this pattern.  They are both triangular shaped shawls with zig-zaggy / feather and fan borders.  Many people on Ravelry have made both of these shawls.  For the purposes of a group pattern, both the knit and crochet pattern are good for beginners, up to advanced crafters.  This was an excellent choice.  
I took the directions with me to Hawaii, along with one beautiful skein of Sweet Georgia, sock weight yarn in aqua and green combo.  I was in vacation mode.  I barely looked at the directions and just crocheted along.  I finished, but realized that I didn't quite complete the zig-zag edge the correct way.  It's a feather and fan pattern.  I feathered, but forgot to fan.  I added a little picot border, blocked the thing and decided I'd try the pattern again.

My next attempt was with one skein of Red Heart worsted weight in a striping pattern.  I could see that I would never make it to the feather and fan border with this small amount of yarn.  However, I did like how this shawl was turning out, so I just finished it and added that same picot border.  I ironed the hell out of this thing so that it melted the acrylic and became very soft and drapey.

I was possessed and I still liked the shape of this shawl, so I found some scratchy tweed wool in a cranberry color in my stash.  I completed the beginning portion of the shawl quickly.  I decided that the feather and fan pattern wasn't that great, so I added my favorite lacy border from Doris Chan's "All Shawl."  I really LOVE this rustic shawl, but it's not really a Klamath.

Okay, I simply have to complete the pattern as written so I can wear it at our July picnic at the Guild.  Everyone else seems to be able to complete this pattern.  I should do it too!   Klamath #4 is made from Hobby Lobby's I Love This Yarn in a red tweed.  I followed the pattern, added the feather and fan border and find the whole piece extremely boring.  I'm not possessed anymore.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:57 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your Klamath de-obsession analysis. It made me giggle. And admire you for getting to a 4th version before you reach your limit.

I generally get to my saturation point halfway through any project!

Hugs,
Christine G.

PS: Love the color of K#1.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery