Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Ukulele Strap Granny Cozy

Granny Square Strap Cozy

I wanted to jazz up my ukulele. I decided I needed a colorful instrument strap. I have a boring, black manufactured strap that does the job. Since my playing isn't that great, I need to distract people with my smile and colorful accessories!
Fancy front, plain back

I checked Ravelry and other online sources for crocheted and/or knit instrument straps. I came across quite a few. I liked the idea of just making a cozy or sleeve for my existing strap. That way, I wouldn't need a fabric back to stabilize the stretchy yarn stitches.
I have an abundance of acrylic yarn in various colors. I decided that a black trim with different color centers would be a good choice. I crocheted small two-row granny squares and joined them together in a long strip, measuring my existing strap. 
Blog Star, modeling my new uke accessory

Then, I crocheted a back, lengthwise, in one color and joined it to the squares on the side of the strap, leaving each end free so I could slip the existing strap through. It works perfectly! I can't wait to make more in different colors and materials! I'm thinking a crocheted, stripey one using Noro yarn scraps would be great!
I sound so much better with that dazzling strap!

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:24 PM PDT, Blogger RossK said...

Ooooohhh!

Will you do one on commission?

I'm pretty sure my kid would love one of those.

.

 
At 2:27 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for the compliments, Ross. No, I don't do commissions. Really, this is very easy..you could do it with a piece of cool fabric too. It's just a sleeve for an existing ukulele strap.

BTW...sweet video of your daughter!

 
At 3:20 PM PDT, Blogger RossK said...

Darn!

Guess we'll have to give it a try ourselves, DIY-style.

What a concept.

.

 
At 3:24 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I know you can do it!!! Post pictures when you finish.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery