Monday, May 02, 2016

Reigning Men at LACMA

Left: Yusuke Takahashi for Issey Miyake. Spring/Summer Ensemble, 2014

I didn't have any events or meetings scheduled for this past Saturday. What? I love it when I have a free Saturday! I decided to take myself to the Los Angeles County Museum of Art to see one of the current exhibits, "Reigning Men." This is an amazing collection of men's fashion from 1715-2015. Many of the items are from the Museum's own collection. I love how this exhibit was staged. There were pieces from the 1700s right next to modern fashions from today's designers, showing the influences. Wow! What marvelous juxtapostions!
I could not possibly post ALL of the fashion shown, but here are a few of my faves. GO SEE THE SHOW! You will not be disappointed!
Smoking Jackets




Jean Paul Gaultier's Lounging Suit, 1996. Notice the skeletal image on the back of the jacket that aligns with the wearer's frame. Brilliant!


U.S. Army Uniform Ensemble, 1944. I immediately thought of my Dad when I saw these "Eisenhower" jackets. This was Dad's preferred style of jacket for decades. #epaulets #membersonly


LOVE this outfit from the 1970s that mimics the 1800s version!

Walter Van Beirendonck, 2013. Love the shimmering insets, jewelry and floral trousers. Van Beirendonck wanted to show the glam rock of his youth. There are brooches on the jacket to signify David Bowie's mascaraed eye and Mick Jagger's sensuous red lips.


During the entire exhibit, I could not stop thinking about my slim and photogenic husband. He would look FANTASTIC is so many of the modern pieces. Too bad Larry's fashion icons are Levi Strauss and L.L. Bean.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 1:11 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

It's so sad ---with all that style available all I see around SF Bay area are jeans and plaid or tee shirts!

 
At 2:27 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

I hear you, Betty! Like I said at the end of my post, my husband wears Levi Strauss and L.L. Bean. Sigh.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery