Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Passover in the Desert

Judaic Table Runner in Filet Crochet Pattern
Passover is the 8 day observance commemorating the freedom and exodus of the Israelites (Jewish slaves) from Egypt during the reign of the Pharaoh Ramses II. This is a time of family gatherings and lavish meals called Seders. The story of Passover is retold through the reading of the Haggadah (prayer book). With its special foods, songs, and customs, the Seder is the focal point of the Passover celebration.
We usually attend a large family Passover Seder. My cousins and I do all of the cooking and planning. In fact, I adapted and compiled a personalized family Haggadah from various services I'd attended over the years, including fun songs like "Take Us Out of Egypt" (sung to the tune of "Take Me Out to the Ball Game"), "Don't Sit On The Afikomen" (sung to the tune of "Battle Hymn of the Republic"), "Our Passover Things" (sung to the tune of "My Favorite Things" from "Sound of Music"), and my all-time favorite, "The Ballad of the Four Sons" (sung to the tune of "My Darling Clementine").
This year, the family Seder is happening without us. Larry and I are headed to Las Vegas for the Viva Las Vegas Rockabilly Weekend. It's a rockabilly extravaganza-a-go-go-a-rama. We haven't missed a family Passover in about 15 years, so I don't feel too guilty....really! I will be in the desert, where Moses parted the Red Sea....it's just a different desert. Maybe Lake Mead will miraculously separate and all of those gamblers in LV will flee to Laughlin.
The Rockabilly Weekend is all-consuming. We will probably only attend a portion of the fest though. We like the car show, the marketplace and a few of the concerts. However, we also want to visit The Atomic Testing Museum and maybe hit some other hot Vegas spots. We are not gamblers, but there is so much to see and do in LV, that I hardly have time to put a quarter in a slot machine! We must visit the vintage Peppermill Restaurant and it's world-famous fireside lounge. This is an excellent coffee shop that serves huge portions of yummy American-style food. The fireside lounge and the entire decor of this place harkens back to the late 1960's - early 1970's. There's this roaring fire in the middle of a fountain, set in a sunken couch-lounge. It's incredible. We are forever searching out cool thrift shops and antique stores too. There's a lot of turnover in the population of LV, so the consignment shops, etc. are usually fully-stocked. You never know what 'treasure' you'll find.
I will miss all of my fellow-knitsters and crocheters at the WeHo SnB on Thursday. Have a good time and report back on all of your crafty projects.
Happy Easter and Happy Passover to all!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 9:15 PM PDT, Blogger Annika said...

I went to Viva Las Vegas in 2001 and had the best time ever. I've been wanting to return ever since...maybe next year. This year I will live vicariously through you, so please take lots of pictures.

 
At 9:55 AM PDT, Blogger DarcyArtsy said...

Mmmmmm The Peppermill. Happy Rockabilly Passover! See you at next week's SnB.

 
At 11:05 AM PDT, Blogger Bri Ana said...

I LOVE that you are skipping pesach for VLV!!!! LOL! Okay, can I come to your seder next year, because it sounds way more fun than mine... which is fun but.... Exodus really doesn't lend itself to abbreviation, you know.

 
At 1:42 PM PDT, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

i'm very jealous of your excursion to VLV.

i will not be having pesach or VLV.

but i will snb!

 
At 2:09 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Thanks for all the comments, everyone. I do love the comments!

I promise to takes lots of Rockabilly and LV photos; There will be a full report of all the places we visit in LV and on the way.

Update...I've made brunch reservations at the Commander's Palace. The New Orleans restaurant is out of commission for awhile, but I've heard the LV one is faboo. Can't wait!

Taa Taa for now, Dahlings!

 
At 5:00 PM PDT, Blogger Susan Wike said...

Oh, what a cute Bun Bun. (my daughter had one and I can't call them anything else!) Have a great adventure in Las Vegas. I'd love to go there myself.!

 
At 6:28 AM PDT, Blogger DANIELBLOOM said...

Next year in Jerusalem!

 
At 11:06 PM PST, Blogger JoshAndKelsy said...

On the top of this page is it possible to get the pattern still for Judaic Table Runner? I love it. But the links don't work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery