Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Elena Fiore Designs

Elena Fiore's Handbag
I've decided to assume my Italian name of Elena Fiore for this purse project! Elena = Ellen. Fiore = Flowers or Bloom. Perfect! I wonder if Isabella Fiore's real name is Izzy Bloom?
Anyway, I've finally completed my Faux Fiore. It's been a long journey. I'm not an expert seamstress, so the zipper on my handbag is not perfect, but it works. I haven't sewn in a zipper since that A-line dress I made in junior high sewing class, about a thousand years ago.
You will remember that the original Isabella Fiore handbag retails for almost $600 at Nordstrom's. It's positively gorgeous, beautifully constructed and I want one. I just cannot see spending that much money on a fabric bag, so I made one for myself. I used Julie Holtez' "Fat Bottom Bag" pattern from the "Happy Hooker" crochet book for the basis of the bag, changing the handles to a hobo style strap with glamour rings instead of round handles. I crocheted another bag in olive green acrylic to use for the lining. I added lots of free-formed flowers and leaves to the front of bag. I put in a big sports zipper for the closure. I think it looks great! Total cost of materials = $25.
I like Julie's Fat Bottom Bag pattern so much, that I decided to make it again, following the pattern religiously. I used Noro Kureyon in a black, tan, grey stripe for the outside, burgundy Cascade for the inside, black round plastic handles and stash wool for the flowers and leaves sewn on the front of the bag. I really like this bag too. All it needs is a snap closure!
I'm thinking about becoming Elena Pucci for my next handbag experiment!
Addendum: Thanks to Stephanie at the Anti-Factory for posting about me on her blog. She's the Counterfeit Queen of Handbags!!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 1:54 PM PDT, Blogger Sara said...

Elena, they are fabulous! The Fiore bag turned out perfect. I can't wait to see it in person. Please bring on Thursday to show off!

 
At 3:58 PM PDT, Blogger LadyLinoleum said...

I'm with Sara...your bags and you for that matter, rock!

Thanks so much for spending the day Sunday with Lena and me. Thank you also for the lovely lunch!

 
At 4:05 PM PDT, Blogger Bri Ana said...

You'll bring them tomorrow night, yes? I must see these in person - they are just too faboo!

 
At 5:25 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

They are gorgeous. Exactly what we've come to expect from you. Actually, when I saw the picture for the second bag (and before reading the text), I thought it was the "original" designer bag. Amazing.

 
At 8:33 PM PDT, Blogger anti-factory said...

Oh Ellen, what can I say? I just love these bags and i'm blown away :) ps--i posted a link to your blog and images on my blog...here's to remote counterfeiting!

-stephanie

 
At 12:35 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are a crochet goddess. i am not worthy.

 
At 2:03 PM PDT, Blogger Julie said...

The bags are great! I love the hobo style with the glamour rings, great touch. Isn't flower making so much fun?

 
At 2:54 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

Please teach me how to make your flowers, especially the curlicue things.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery