Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Bluebird Cafe

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Movies at the Bluebird Cafe
I ordered cupcakes for an office birthday last week at the Bluebird Cafe in Culver City. We usually order cupcakes from Buttercake or Sprinkles, but I wanted to give another bakery a chance. I was thinking about ordering from Hotcakes Bakery in Mar Vista, but the Bluebird is more convenient for me. I ended up doing the ordering, delivery and set-up...sigh.
Anyway, the Bluebird did an excellent job with the cupcakes. I ordered mini-cupcakes in the three flavors available: Vanilla, Chocolate, Red Velvet with various color frosting and toppings. Everyone was quite impressed with the texture and taste of the cupcakes. The Bluebird's prices are much lower than either Sprinkles in Beverly Hills or Buttercake in WLA. I love the mini-cupcakes, because then I don't have to slice up and dish out separate pieces of cake for everyone! No fuss, no muss!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Divine Mini-Cupcakes
I liked the Bluebird so much, that Mr. Larry and I went back there that same night for dinner. The Bluebird Cafe is located in the industrial Hayden Tract of East Culver City. At night, the area is a ghost town. The Bluebird's windows look out on the railroad tracks (soon to become the Expo Metro Line). There are many ancient small factory buildings in the area as well as architecturally innovative new buildings of hot companies like Smashbox Studios, The Debbie Allen Dance Academy and many design firms.
The menu is casual...sandwiches, panini, salads. I had a panini with eggs, bacon, ham, guyere cheese, served with delicious coleslaw and a really fresh beefsteak tomato. Larry had the cheeseburger. They served us this huge basket of yummy fries with a few onion rings thrown in. They have beer, wine, soft drinks.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Panini
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Cheeseburger
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Seasoned Fries and Onion Rings
On a Friday night, the place was dark, quiet and inviting. there were about four tables filled inside and a few tables with people on the patio. On the wall of the building in the patio they were showing the movie, "Blow-Up", one of Mr. Larry's fave photo-centric movies of the '60's. While we were dining, sitting at a window table, looking out at the ghost-like City and the empty railroad tracks, we felt like we were in the painting "Night Hawks" by Edward Hopper. I can't wait to go back to the Bluebird Cafe and try more of their delicious food.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Bluebird Cafe
8572 National Blvd., Culver City, CA 90232
(310) 841-0939
Mon-Tue 8am-5pm
Wed-Sat 8am-10pm

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 5:00 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Wow. Good food and not crowded?! Sounds perfect! I'll have to check it out. Oh, and let me know when you've reviewed "T on Fairfax". Their menu looks great, but I won't believe it until I read it here!

 
At 6:03 PM PDT, Blogger dizzy von damn! said...

that's right near my work.

i drive by it every day.

 
At 10:36 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen, I used to work at one of those ancient small manufacturing buildings when I first came to L.A. in the early 70s! We lived in Santa Monica at 21st & Pico, and I worked in Culver City at a lingerie and bathing suit manufacturer named "Accentuette". They did the store brand merchandise for all the big department stores, and did their own line for all the little bra/corset shops around town (remember those?!). Our boss was a wonderful woman named Vi Smith, who always wore violet scented perfume, and for our birthday bought the girls in the office a bottle of high priced perfume of our choice, and a 2-lb box of See's Candy from the store on Rodeo (I think that's where it was).

Why I beat your dad provided some of the mannequins that were hanging around the Accentuette workshops! Didn't you say that was the business he was in?

Thanks for the walk down memory lane.

 
At 10:38 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh, I didn't "beat" your dad....I meant to say "I bet your dad"

It's late...I'm going to sleep now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery