Monday, January 08, 2007

Art in Chinatown

Chinatown, Downtown Los Angeles

On Saturday, our friend Tetsuji Aono had an art opening at the L2kontemporary Gallery in Chinatown. It was a really interesting show. You can read about the exhibit focus here. We always see lots of friends at art shows too, so it's a fun evening. I really like Tetsuji's mirror decal pieces. The one of the poodle with some sort of chicken in his head is most enticing to me.
Tetsuji's Poodle Mirror
Before the show we stopped at Hop Woo on North Broadway for a bowl of soup. They serve the best War-Wonton Soup....it's chock full o' chicken, vegies, pork, shui mai dumplings, etc. served in a rich and tasty broth. The soup was perfect for a cold and blustery evening.
Larry @ Hop Woo Restaurant

After dinner we walked the few blocks to the Gallery. It's always fun walking thru Chinatown at night. The neon lights around the shops in the square are always bright. It's very tourist-y, but there's nothing wrong with that! I love being a tourist in my own home town!

I hope Tetsuji sells out. His work is wonderful.

Partial View of "Happy Happy Joy Joy Virgin Road: Panic Wedding Registry

by Tetsuji Aono

variable size, 2005-07
mixed media installation

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:37 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,
Isn't Chinese New Year coming up soon? I'm sure there will be lots of fun and interesting events going on in Chinatown. Let us know.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 11:39 AM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Judy,
Yes, Chinese New Year is February 18th...the year of the PIG! I'll keep checking the Los Angeles Chinatown site to see what's happening that weekend.

HOWEVER, the Farmers Market Mardi Gras is 2/17-2/18 @ 3rd and Fairfax. We LOVE that event!

 
At 12:27 PM PST, Blogger WineGrrl said...

I thought the colors were rather nice, myself.

 
At 12:13 PM PST, Blogger Alicia said...

Oh my, Ellen, We have another person in common! Tetsuji is my friend too! I received the invite to his opening too late, so I didn't go. I will be stopping by before the show comes down. Thanks for the photos, the show looks super interesting and fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery