Friday, March 16, 2007

Photos @ Modernica


Instead of going to the WeHo SnB last night, Larry and I met up with Mary Jo at Modernica for a photo show that Brit told us about. Paul Novak (brother of Modernica owner, Frank) was the track photographer at the Playland Park Speedway in Council Bluffs, Iowa during the 70's. Paul took some great action shots and publicity photos of the various winners at the race track. The original negatives suffered some water damage over the years, but that made the prints more interesting. The photo show is great. Go see it. Also, just being inside a beautiful modern furniture store like Modernica is inspiring!
Paul Novak, @ left in print shirt
One of the highlights of the evening: The bluegrass band from the Hollywood Farmers Market was the entertainment!
Mary Jo enjoying the photo exhibit
Larry, grooving to the bluegrass band
Modernica has faboo furniture

After the photo show, Larry I walked down the block to El Coyote for a quick taco. It wasn't so quick. By 9pm, the place was jammed with hipsters. We had to wait awhile for a table. Waiting in the lobby and looking into the display window made me ponder, Darcy's comment about my El Coyote post: Who buys those toys in the window?

Toys @ El Coyote

Modernica, 7366 Beverly Boulevard, LA

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 1:50 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

HAH. Now I'm not as disappointed that I didn't make it last nite - you and MJ weren't there! I made it halfway. Urg.

I think the folks what drink too many margaritas then suddenly remember it's their kid's birthday are the ones what buy them toys!!!

 
At 4:00 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Years ago my MIL gave me an Eames rocker. It was an original one, made in white fiberglass. It was very comfortable, but I hated the the way the fiberglass discolored. It just wasn't pristine. I decided to donate it one night at a grocery store drop-off area for Salvation Army or something. We drove over, dropped off our stuff, and drove off, but I immediately had second thoughts (mostly just guilt), and we drove around the corner and back into the parking lot just in time to see someone driving away with the rocker in their truck. I called Herman Miller (the chairmakers) and asked about replacing it. I was told that they were only made as gifts for pregnant employees, so I couldn't buy a new one (this was back in the very early 80s).

Years later I went with my MIL to an exhibit at LACMA on Eames, etc....and what was on display but that damned rocker (now valued at $1,000 or more). I had to steer the dear lady away from the display, to avoid any untoward questioning about the whereabouts of our rocker... I did a quick look-see of the chair. I have to say, although I wish I had SOLD the damned chair, I still hated the way the fiberglass looked.

I think the new chairs are made in some other material so I'm sure any purchased now will be well-loved by their owners.

 
At 12:53 PM PDT, Blogger Yarnartist said...

I remember Playland Park from my childhood, growing up in Omaha, Nebraska, just across the river from Council Bluffs, Iowa. They were called the Twin Cities! It was a few ...err...few years before the 70's.

 
At 7:21 PM PDT, Blogger Laurie Ann said...

It was a small, quiet group--not quite the apocalypse the locals predicted, but still, we missed you.

I love those chairs.

 
At 9:39 PM PDT, Blogger Vouray said...

You and Hubby have a blast...it seems like every night...Bfriend was just offered a job in LA. I hope we move. And if we do, I need you to help me find the best group of knitters in LA to hang with.

 
At 11:37 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

This looks like so much fun! Yee haw - speedsters and bluegrass, what more could you ask for?

 
At 3:16 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi!
the poodle cardigan is probably in this rowanbook which is older :

TITLE: THE BEST OF ROWAN
AUTHOR: Stephen Sheard, editor
PUBLISHER: Interweave Press, 1998
DESCRIPTION: Hardcover with dustjacket. 192 pages

You can get it at EBay, in a eBay shop

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery