Tuesday, April 01, 2008

New Book - "Knitalong"

We interrupt our tour of Northeast Los Angeles to talk about a new knit book. It's called "Knitalong: Celebrating the Tradition of Knitting Together" by Larissa Brown and Martin John Brown. I REALLLLLY like this book. There are tons of projects inside that I want to make. The book is written with the idea that you, the reader, will be forming your own knitalongs in the future. It gives you tools to organize, the history of knit groups, fabulous vintage photos, charity ventures and more. One of my favorite projects is the gift "Magic Yarn Ball." This is the perfect gift to give a knitter or crocheter, even if you don't have time to make anything for them. Basically, you unwind a lovely ball of yarn, in the center of the ball place a small gift (soap, pincushion, etc.). You can keep adding little trinkets as you wind up the ball, like buttons, stitch markers, whatever. Wrap the ball of yarn in a beautiful ribbon, stick in some needles or a hook. Voila! Magic Yarn Ball Gift!
Magic Yarn Balls

I didn't realize that the "Meathead Hat" that Natalie knit for Baby Oliver was from this collection. This is the cutest hat!
Annika holding Oliver in his "Meathead" hat as Knitter Natalie looks on
This is the type of book that I will read over and over again. Everytime I look through it, I find something new.

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 3:46 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review, Ellen. This book sounds very interesting. I like that their website shows all of the projects too.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 9:06 PM PDT, Blogger mj said...

Another book I have to buy. Is there a charity somewhere to leave all my knitting books? My poor sister will have to deal with it all...

 
At 10:40 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

Hmmm...I was passing by that book 'cause I'm such a solo knitter but it sounds like the projects make it worth it! And I really like the magic yarn ball - that could work well for a knitter friend's b-day coming up soon!

 
At 12:43 AM PDT, Blogger Lisa said...

I think it's a great book too. I especially like the Barn Raising Quilt!

 
At 2:26 AM PDT, Blogger Anne-Marie said...

Love the idea of the yarn balls. They would be very cool for swaps, using expensive yarn or handspun. It would bulk out what can usually look like a tiny gift.

 
At 10:27 AM PDT, Blogger Madge said...

What a sweet book!

And, what'd you score at the estate sale? Anything for your yarn balls?

 
At 3:12 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Love Magic yarn balls! Can't wait to check out the book!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery