Thursday, April 23, 2009

Calendar

Springtime is busy-time in Los Angeles.
My only plan this weekend is to clean out my closet and go to the Fairview Knitters Group on Saturday afternoon.
However, I might just change my mind and go to one of these places:

Marion Davies @ her Beach House

The Annenberg Beach House is open to the public! This is the former Marion Davies estate on the beach in Santa Monica, at the end of the Santa Monica incline. William Randolph Hearst had the estate built for actress, Davies, who was his longtime mistress. They entertained many celebrities there during the 30's and 40's. When I was a child this same property was known as the Sand and Sea Club. We had friends that were members, so I got to go often. It was a great place for lunch! We'd eat, then swim in the pool, then run down the sand to the ocean and swim there too. Later, when I was a teenager, my group of friends used to hang out on Tee's Beach (named for the hamburger stand nearby), just outside the perimeter of the Sand and See Club. Awww...fond memories.
The Grilled Cheese Invitational Cook-off is this weekend. Cheese is my most favorite food. Imagine the combinations that the chefs will create!! Oh!
The BIG, BIG event this entire weekend is the L.A. Festival of Books at UCLA. This festival has grown and grown over the years into a really big deal. There are always famous authors there, lecturing, signing books and more. If the weather is nice (and it looks like it will be), it's a wonderful place to get your read on.
On the music side, my favorite troubadors, Christopher Guest, Michael McKean and Harry Shearer will be performing at the Wiltern Theater in their Unwigged and Unplugged concert. From the website: The trio, known as both Spinal Tap and The Folksmen, announced their upcoming Unwigged & Unplugged tour. For the upcoming shows, the musicians come "out from behind the hair, the facial hair, and the absence of hair" to perform songs including hits from Spinal Tap and A Mighty Wind.
Esotouric is holding their two-day tour, Raymond Chandler's Los Angeles: In a Lonely Place. Here are some photos of a past Raymond Chandler tour.
Maybe we'll bump into each other around L.A. this weekend!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 6:49 PM PDT, Blogger ajdury said...

NEAT info on the Marion Davies house! Growing up in the shadow of Hearst Castle, I'm interested in learning about him and his life. After having enjoyed so many tours up there, I had to learn from you about the Santa Monica connection, LOL!

Thanks for always having your finger on the L.A. pulse and sharing it with everyone, Ellen.

April (in SLO)

 
At 10:49 PM PDT, Blogger Christy T said...

My hubby will be soooo jealous... Huge fan of those guys!!!

 
At 11:02 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Grilled cheese festival...yum!

I could eat one everyday.

But I try not to.

 
At 10:25 AM PDT, Blogger Memories of Yesterday said...

Thanks so much for reminding me about the Book Festival at UCLA -- I went all day on Saturday and had a FABULOUS time!!!!

Dannielle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery