Thursday, May 14, 2009

This Weekend

There's a lot to do in the L.A. area this weekend!
First, my faboo cousin Carolyn and her husband John have organized a Jewish Food Festival through their temple out in Valencia. It's Sunday, from 11am to 4pm, freeway close. Click here for discount coupon and more info.
One of my favorite events is also on Sunday...the Topanga Banjo and Fiddle Contest! Now, it's held at the Paramount Ranch in Agoura. I remember when it was held in Topanga at Camp Wildwood. It's always a fun day, with people jamming all over the ranch, crafts for sale, food and more. Steve Martin has been known to show up and jam too! My brother taught me how to play the banjo when I was very young. I was a first place winner in the beginner's category at the age of 10. I entered again when I was 13 and slipped to third place. I knew it was time to quit. However, I was still playing when I was in high school. Here's a photo of my friend Jonde on guitar, me on banjo at Idyllwild School of Music and the Arts during the early 1970's. Dig those craaaaazy bell-bottoms!
Jonde and Ellen Rock Out - Idyllwild, CA

Next up this weekend is the Strawberry Festival in Oxnard. This is perfect weather to hang out at the festival, scarf down some yummy strawberry treats and then come home with a flat of the most amazingly tasty strawberries in the country!
For a few years I was a docent at the Venice Art Walk. This is another excellent event. You get the chance to visit many artists' studios in the Venice Beach area. Most of the artists have items for sale along with their artwork. There are refreshments, interesting people and great art!

I'm attending a special b-day party for a special friend on Sunday. We're meeting up at Hands on 3rd, a new crafting place. We're signed up to create fascinators for ourselves. A fascinator is a little hat that you perch on the side of your head. Since I'm a dedicated headband wearer, I'm sure I'll take to fascinator fashion!

Everything happens in the springtime in L.A.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 5:02 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooo...a Jewish food festival. Sounds very interesting. thanks for the tip, Ellen.

Judy
Bakersfield

 
At 5:05 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ellen,

I've been to the Strawberry Fest many times. It really is a perfect family festival. I'll be there again this year for the strawberry shortcake!

Joan T.

 
At 9:49 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Fabio from Top Chef will be at the Strawberry Festival on Sunday. Just in case there are any Fabio fans out there.

I love that photo of you playing the banjo.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery