Monday, August 31, 2009

From the Mountains to the Sea

Glendale Fwy (8/28/09), heading toward Montrose
Saturday was made up of contrasts for me. First thing in the morning I headed up to Suss Design on Beverly Blvd. in West Hollywood to check out the yarn sale. It was hot and the sky was smoky because of the nearby forest fires. I bought lots of green mystery yarn for $2 a skein and saw many WeHo SnB yarnsters. Then, I kept driving northeast up to Montrose for Griffin Dyeworks Fiber Fest.

Fiber Fest - August 2009

My friends back at the yarn store told me to avoid the area, but I was on a mission. I wanted to see some other friends that were attending the Fest and of course, I wanted to scope out the vendors. I wasn't sure how many people would attend, because of the fires, but I was surprised to see a full house upon arrival at the La Crescenta Women's Club.

Yes, smoke was billowing up into the sky just over the ridge. The air was thick with falling ash. It was like being on the downwind side of a huge barbecue. Ugh. The fiber dyers could not dye their yarn until the wind shifted a bit after the lunch break.

Kenny, Chuck, Kyle and Debra patiently waiting for the wind to shift

I left after lunch, but the rest of the group seemed to be having a great time learning new techniques in spinning, weaving, dying and all other things fiber-related. Griffin Dyeworks holds these events a few times during the year. I would definitely attend again and partake of the classes.
After clearing my lungs a bit I zoomed out to Pacific Palisades Park in Santa Monica for a bonus meeting with the Fairview Knitters. The air was considerably clearer out by the ocean. About 10 of us settled on a shady, grassy spot with a great view of the ocean. Natalie and I brought some treats to share. It was a glorious afternoon with lots of people (and their adorable little dogs) stopping by to ask us about our group and how often we meet. Details: We meet on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month at the Fairview Branch Library, 21st and Ocean Park, S.M. from 3:30 -5:30pm. This was the fifth Saturday of the month and we decided to venture away from the Library for this bonus meeting. It was delightful and we will definitely meet in the Park again!


My positive wishes go out to everyone in burn areas in SoCal. Hopefully, we will experience some moisture in the air, lower temperatures and our valiant firefighters will be able to contain the blazes.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At 1:49 PM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

Knitting at the beach was awesome.

 
At 4:54 PM PDT, Blogger Kath said...

I've heard positive feedback from others who've attended Griffin Dyeworks events. Maybe I'll be able to go to one next year!

 
At 7:32 PM PDT, Blogger Jean said...

I would really be interested in attending this next year. I escaped to Newport Beach this past weekend. You are such a brave soul! Let's hope the weather grows much cooler, we could really use some rain.

 
At 4:22 AM PDT, Blogger gale (she shoots sheep shots) said...

Sounds like a wonderful Saturday, except for those fires. The beachside gathering looks fun. Ok, so does the dyeing one.....

 
At 3:21 PM PDT, Anonymous mj said...

Sorry I missed it. It was so smoky at my house, I got a little scared. It looked like a lot of fun.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery