Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Leaving Taos

Yesterday morning we left Taos and headed down the hill toward Santa Fe. Along the way we visited a few churches. We arrived in Los Alamos by 1pm, ready to tour the City that produced the atom bomb. The Bradbury Science Center is free and has an intense display all about the inventors of the atom bomb. It was scary and informative, all at the same time.
After leaving Los Alamos, which is a really large town, we drove for a few hours and ended up in Grants, New Mexico. We checked into our hotel and drove around a bit, just as the sun was setting. The main drag in Grants has lots of vintage signage. The West Movie Theater sign was beautifully maintained. Today, we plan to take a few more pix of vintage signs and move on down the road.
We had a New Mexican dinner last night at El Cafecito in Grants. The food was excellent. The sopapillas were divine. I've had these little pockets of air in San Diego, CA, but never in Los Angeles. Where can I get them in L.A.? Let me know!

Sopapillas from El Cafecito, Grants, NM

Here's a shot of some of the yarn I bought at the festival....Plain and Fancy Yarns from Henderson, Texas...DK weight, positively gorgeous texture. I'm improvising a shell.
We'll probably make it to Arizona today!

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:23 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

The Bradbury looks intense...all atomical & mushroom cloudy.

Love the photo of the West Theater...Final Destination. (Cue Sci-Fi sounds) I hope you make it out of Grants! lol

Beautiful yarn.

 
At 9:24 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The yarn is yummy!!!!! I checked Chowhound. La Cabanita in Glendale has sopapillas. Wanna make a dinner date?

Hugs,
Christine G.

 
At 12:40 PM PDT, Blogger betty said...

you must be looking forward to coming home by now! Did you check out the town of Madrid (near Santa Fe) at all? Last time I was there, it had lots of funky art galleries.

 
At 3:28 PM PDT, Blogger -K- said...

I love New Mexico. And the church at the top looks like El Santuario, the "American Lourdes."

Nice photo of the neon marquee too.

 
At 5:30 PM PDT, Blogger MonkeyGurrrrrl said...

Improvising a shell. You are amazing. And that yarn is Yum. Mee.

 
At 7:54 PM PDT, Anonymous donna said...

I haven't had a good sopapilla since I left Texas! Sure would like one right now...think you could send one my way?

 
At 8:27 PM PDT, Blogger Sarah said...

I'm loving the bloggin' from the road! The yarn is beautiful - can't wait to see all of your goodies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery