Monday, February 01, 2010

Net Friends

Fairview Branch Library, Santa Monica

On Saturday, I met up with my Net Friend, Ruth. I "met" Ruth through my Brother's Bowed Dulcimer Yahoo Group. Even though I don't play the Bowed Dulcimer, I wanted to spy on my Brother, Ken's group so I could see what was goin' on in his world. I subsequently found out that Ruth was also a member of Ravelry. Ruth lives in Virginia and was visiting her son's family in Redondo Beach. I invited Ruth to sit in with our Fairview Knitters Group on Saturday afternoon. She fit right in, talkin' yarn, socks and little knitted gig-bags like a natural.


I couldn't let Ruth's brief visit go by without a quick side-trip to McCabe's Guitar Shop. McCabe's is a legendary place in Los Angeles history. The founder of the shop, Gerald McCabe, recently passed away at the age of 82. Many historic performances have taken place in the back room at McCabe's. McCabe's personnel is the best ever. They will suggest the perfect instrument just for you, teach you how to play it and then fix it if it's broken. There's a wealth of instruments, books, music, CDs and more available at McCabe's.
Touring the Back Room @ McCabe's

McCabe's was Ken's home away from home when he lived in Los Angeles. Ruth and I toured the shop, picked up a few souvenirs and said our goodbyes.
My fave...The Kitty Guit!

It was great meeting Ruth and putting a face to her name. I've met the BEST people through the net! Have a wonderful trip back to Virginia, Ruth. Also, I know you'll have a grand time at the 6th Annual Bowed Dulcimer Festival in Pilot Mountain, NC this year!

Ellen and Ruth @ McCabe's Guitar Shop, Santa Monica

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 4:50 PM PST, Blogger RHRandle said...

It was indeed a fun afternoon of knitting and yakking, and finally getting to meet Ellen and friends!

 
At 6:45 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is so neat that you were able to meet. Pilot Mountain is not too far from where my daughter lives. We have camped at Hanging Rock that is close by. I love the dolcimer. I am not musically inclined in any way...but do enjoy the mountain music!

 
At 9:43 AM PST, Blogger Natalie said...

Love the internets. It was great you got to meet Ruth and you knew just the right places to go.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery