Monday, April 04, 2011

Textured Walls

Western Ave. near 4th St., Los Angeles

I have this attraction to textured walls, especially on mid-20th century Los Angeles buildings. As I travel around town, I try to snap some shots if I see an interesting wall. The ultimate examples of textured walls in Los Angeles from the 1920's are found on Frank Lloyd Wright-designed homes: The Millard House (La Miniatura), The Ennis House, The Storer House, The Freeman House and my personal favorite, portions of Hollyhock House at Barnsdall Park.

Larry, in front of the textured wall at the Mar Vista Bowling Alley, Venice Blvd., Los Angeles
Bank of America, Santa Monica Blvd., West L.A.

I have a personal fondness for Rocky Mountain Stone too!
Nordhoff St. near Woodley Ave., San Fernando Valley

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 10:36 AM PDT, Blogger blandina said...

I love F. L. Wright and Hollyhock House is one of my favorite places in LA (did you ever notice that the Hollyhock is my avatar on Ravelry?).
Nice post and nice pictures.

 
At 10:11 AM PDT, Blogger Natalie said...

I love a groovy block wall. You have pics of good ones.

 
At 6:16 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ellen - We don't know each other but we both graduated from BHHS. I am working on my 50th reunion (1961!!) and came across your photo on 'bing' images! We were looking for a school shot without the Century City highrises in the background. I hope they use it for the invitation. My job?...decorations and name tags! Also loved the memories of Beverly Drive - Newberry's (25 cent paper doll books - I wanted brides only). Also - my Dad had a gambling club in LV - the Pioneer Club with the neon sign of Vegas Vic (the tall cowboy) on top. It is now a souvenier shop at First and Fremont St. downtown. So I really liked your nostalgic photo of old LV when it really was a Western town!! Thanks for the memories and nice hour on the internet!!
Julie Curland Saffro (Please no not print this letter.)

 
At 11:04 AM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Hi Julie from BHHS! Why don't you e-mail me at ellblo@aol.com then I can answer your question about a photo of BHHS without Century City in the background!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery