Tuesday, December 06, 2011

Little Gifties

Hand-Crocheted Spa Soap Coat

There are lots of patterns for soap coats on the internets. I've never used a soap coat, cozy or scrubbie....until now! I whipped up this cotton number, slid my fave Trader Joe's Lemon Verbena soap inside and now I'm addicted. The cotton coat/scrubbie has a loose weave, so that the soap suds come through the coat while you're washing. The scrubbie acts as a defoliator, getting rid of all that dead skin. It's a win - win idea.

Link
Here's how I made my Hand-Crocheted Spa Soap Coat:
Materials needed: Size "K" crochet hook; small amount of kitchen cotton.
Instructions: Chain 18 stitches. Single crochet one row, then single crochet around the other side of your chain. Keep going round and round in a spiral, single crocheting in the BACK of the stitch after round 1.
Once you have about 12 rows (or a sack large enough for your soap bar), skip 2 stitches in the center of one row for a hole. When you come to the opposite side of the little sack (center stitch), chain up about 16 stitches, then sc into same stitch to make a loop. Continue in sc until you reach the edge of the little sack. Tie off, weave in end. Pop in your gift soap. Voila! Giftie!


I think I'll crochet the next Spa Soap Coat with the loop at the short end of the soap.

UPDATE: OK, last night I whipped up 3 more Soap Coats, vertically! The only change in the pattern, chain 12, continue for about 17 rows. All the rest of the instructions are the same!


I wouldn't be disappointed if you decided to make one of these for ME this holiday season!!

Labels: , , ,

27 Comments:

At 4:10 PM PST, Anonymous Jo Anne said...

You are so amazingly clever & resourceful!

 
At 2:10 PM PST, Blogger rebby said...

Thanks for this easy, quick pattern! It was the finishing touch for my spa gift.

 
At 2:19 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Glad I could help, Rebby! Check out my other free patterns on Ravelry: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/search#sort=best&craft=crochet&query=Ellen%20Bloom

 
At 8:06 PM PST, Blogger fjd said...

Can't wait to try these. I want several for me and they are going to be my 2012 Christmas gifts! Thanks!

 
At 9:02 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for this - I was online looking for a spa set to make for a gift and found your soap coat; was so happy with it that I am working up a back scrubber to match. My friend is gonna love it!

Lee

 
At 7:37 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

looks great! We made one with a tie, this would be much easier! Thanks for sharing!

 
At 5:27 PM PDT, Blogger Marlena said...

Hi Ellen! I absolutely love your pattern. I've made two already! Is it okay if I make Spa Soap Coats to sell? I would use your pattern and would give you credit. Thank you!
~Marlena

 
At 5:30 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Sure thing, Marlena! Feel free to make as many Soap Coats as you'd like and sell them. I'd love to have pattern credit!

--Ellen B.

 
At 5:04 PM PST, Blogger Nicci said...

I tried to make a crocheted body poof and had lathering issues. Will these lather well?

 
At 7:42 PM PST, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

The amount of lather depends on the kind of soap you use.

 
At 4:45 PM PST, Blogger Nicci said...

Have you tried making the poofs? They look great but they don't lather well.

 
At 1:36 PM PDT, Blogger Mom2mykids said...

This is very pretty! I wonder, though, when you say crochet in the back of the stitch, do you mean the back loop or the little ridge that's in the back of the stitch? Just making sure I am doing it right!!

Thanks so much!

 
At 2:02 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

Crochet through the back loop (t/l) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_6-YsCBH3M

 
At 6:02 PM PDT, Blogger Mom2mykids said...

Thanks! So I was doing it right. The soap saver just doesn't seem as loosely done as yours, but I crochet really tightly, so it's probably just me. I usually see that as BLO (back loop only), so that's why I wanted to make sure. Thanks again!

 
At 8:56 PM PST, Blogger mimzy said...

This was super easy and fun to work up. Thank you so much for sharing!

 
At 11:40 PM PST, Blogger Mia K said...

I made a bath pouf with red heart super saver worsted weight acrylic yarn. I have used it twice and so far so good. I achieve a good lather, good rinse with no foul after smell and dries fairly fast. Some may not like the coarseness but I enjoy the exfoliation to my skin...its really not that rough...overall thumbs up

 
At 7:24 PM PDT, Blogger Susan Collins said...

I crochet but I don't understand how a bag is formed. Single crochet and then how does it form a circle? Thank you

 
At 7:27 PM PDT, Blogger Ellen Bloom said...

If you follow the directions completely and DO NOT increase, the bag will form. It's magic!

 
At 7:23 PM PDT, Blogger Laura said...

So you crochet in rounds without joining each round....is that correct? Thank you so much for this cute pattern.

 
At 11:57 AM PDT, Blogger scrappinmagic said...

Thank you!! Working on one now.

 
At 2:38 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

You are awesome thank you

 
At 3:33 PM PDT, Blogger bayhon1965 said...

Love these but I'm a bit confused: how do I crochet on these other side of the chain? Would love a video tutorial.

 
At 11:42 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Are you able to please inform me as to what ply cotton was used? Thank you.

 
At 5:22 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

What do you mean when you say sc on the other side of the chain?

 
At 6:29 PM PST, Blogger tammyne said...

How tall is the vertical one?

 
At 9:42 PM PDT, Anonymous Ambria said...

Nicki, I would look into using a larger stitch. I made a pouf and I use it for decoration. But if I made another I would use a double crochet stitch or a rope stitch. It should be a lightweight pouf. Good luck!

 
At 12:59 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Make your chain. Then crochet back across the chain in the little nub of yarn at the back of each stitch.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Hiren's BootCD
hard drive recovery